FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 26th, 2017, 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 9:38 am 
FFIMer

This coming weekend, March 31, April 1st and 2nd at the Maine Sportsman Show I will be giving a seminar titled "Fly Fishing for Brook Trout in Northern Quebec". This show features several fly in fly fishing ,camping and canoeing trips to the Depas River in Northern Quebec.

The trips originated in central Maine where trip organizers trucked camping gear, canoes and food to Labrador City. At that point all gear was transferred to a railroad car for the train trip to Shefferville Quebec. Trip guests from all over the country flew into Shefferville to meet us and twelve guys loaded gear and canoes onto three float planes for the sixty minute flight into the Depas river. For 9 days we fly fished the Depas river and its tributaries for brook trout. Approximately sixty miles of river were covered before float planes were contacted to pick us up.

The seminar will be at the Maine Sportsman Show in Augusta Saturday April 1st at 9:00 Am and 4:00 PM and April 2nd at 11:00 AM. Hope to see you there. Tom

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 4:59 pm 
FFIM Addict

How was the fishing?

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 8:09 pm 
FFIM Addict

Yeah, like, did you catch anything?

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 8:35 pm 
FFIMer

Rory and Matt, To answer your questions about fish caught: We were 12 guys fly fishing in near virgin water for 9 days and we covered 60 miles of water. Think about it. The only way to get there was to fly for an hour from Shefferville, Quebec. Look up Shefferville in an atlas and see where that is. If you find Labrador City keep looking north and you'll find Shefferville. The only way to get there from Lab City is by train. There is no road. To call this a remote trip would be a gross understatement. There were no lodges or camps. We were flown in with our canoes, camping gear and fly rods. When we stopped for the night we made our campsite. I don't think any of these fish had seen an artificial fly before unless it was one of ours the year before. We caught and released some fine trout. Got pictures in the show to prove it.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 12:37 pm 
FFIMer

Thanks to those who came to the" Fly Fishing Northern Quebec" presentation at the Maine Sportsman Show. This time of year pictures of flowing water, big brook trout, and blue skies are just what the doctor ordered! Tom

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 3:06 pm 
FFIM-aholic

That sounds amazing, I am doing a roughly similar trip in norther Sweden this summer, for which I have really high hopes. I was excited to find this opportunity, becausbelodge life isn't exactly i my budget, and while I am still able bodied, I like roughing it.

Do you do these types of trips often? Or know someone else who does?

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 3:38 pm 
FFIMer

TGIF, Contact "Allagash Guide Inc.com"

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 4:44 pm 
FFIMer

I am sorry that I missed your presentation. Some years back I went to Schefferville then flew north a few hours to the Chateauguay River and fished there for a week. Stayed in two platform tent-type facilities owned by Norpaq. I fished one location for three days, and then they flew me on an Otter to the other spot down river to a similar venue. The river was great and totally suitable for wading. I couldn't begin to tell you how many trout I caught, but it was a lot. I stood on one rock and using a caddis, I caught 18 fish the smallest of which was 18". The guides were basically caribou guys that knew little about fly fishing for trout, but it surely didn't matter a whit. They were willing to learn how to read water and some other things, so I suspect they are better now because they have had more experience. It was a fabulous trip in every aspect so I'm certain yours was too!