FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 17th, 2017, 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Heavy water hookups
PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 8:11 pm 
FFIM Addict

maineangler wrote:
I know people will disagree; but I am quite certain fish are lost more often to barbless flies.

Agreed.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 8:32 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Hutch wrote:
salmon is right- it is about side pressure--in many cases, keeping the rod tip UP has hurt my landing numbers...and do NOT point the rod tip in anywhere near the direction of the fish.Read the river below you and see if there are soft area to drive the fish toward...

De-barbing the hook is more about my safety than landing/not landing fish...I think barbs DO work, I just am not willing to pay the once in 5 year price...

Hutch

Rod tip UP, with a fish running down river, was exactly my problem - recipe for disaster. Landed a decent brown in MT last fall. If I hadn't rolled that fish towards shore below me that fish was gone. Wish we had a video of that chase - I'm sure it looked pretty comical - I'm no ballerina!

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 6:26 am 
FFIMer

Quote:
Wish we had a video of that chase - I'm sure it looked pretty comical - I'm no ballerina!

I have had to chase down a few nice salmon at the E.O
That gave ME a run for the money :lol:

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 8:05 am 
FFIM-aholic

Last time i saw Salmo chase down a brookie, it was not poetic... he took a pretty bad spill, and reminded me that he wasn't 22 any more.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 9:30 am 
FFIM Addict

TGIF wrote:
Right, but if you had a barb, the slack line likely wouldn't have mattered, so was it the slack line or lack of a barb?

Or are you subscribing to the "I didn't deserve that one" because I gave it slack line.

Physics states that it is easier for a fish to throw a barbless hook... moving more mass/surface area through mass is harder the less mass/surface area.

I think slack line is a game-ender, regardless of whether your throwing a barb or not. The big different- with a barb- when the fish pulls free from the hook- it's more likely to sacrifice a chuck of it's lip and leave with joker face. YMMV.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 12:57 pm 
FFIM Addict

Sigh.....

Always the contrarian, I guess. I,ve never felt that I've lost a fish to a barbless hook......and every fly I've tied since 1983 has been barbless. YMMV.....as always. Keep slack out of your line, and the barbless hook will penetrate better......giving you a better chance of landing said trout.

Now....on to playing trout. Whomever said to lay the rod over onto its side is, IMO, absolutely correct. Pulling the trout out of the fast current into slack.....or slacker....water is the way to go.

Often, on the Missouri with large trout that tend to run WAY out into the main current the only way to actually put them into the net is to .....,.using a golf analogy.....play through. It can get rather comical chasing that trout downstream while weaving in and out of other anglers, and flylines......but it can be done. Be polite about it.......I've never had anybody be nasty about playing through to land large trout.

Dave M

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 2:15 pm 
FFIM-aholic

To clarify on a few points made...I'm not ascribing every lost fish to a barbless hook. Even though, as I stated, and maintain, my certainty that fish are lost more often sans barb; but it's the lack of confidence in the hook set, sans barb, which effects the way I am playing a fish, to which ultimately, along with plain ol' bad luck, is the cause of the drop. I don't think that's changed from my original post...this lack of confidence is directly associated to a noticeable increase in dropped fish once I started using barbless hooks.
But why do barbed hooks still dominate the fishing (all forms) marketplace, if they don't hold inherent advantage? Word apparently hasn't spread to the wider fishing public that barbless hooks provide a superior set...
Also, it's ok to simply use them because it's the right way to C&R. No further justification necessary. Barbed hooks do far more harm to a fish, both by their own accord and by the effort required to remove them.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 3:39 pm 
FFIM Addict

maineangler wrote:
But why do barbed hooks still dominate the fishing (all forms) marketplace, if they don't hold inherent advantage?

Honestly- the answer is that most folks don't care about the damage they're going to do to what may become dinner. Conservation of fishery resources isn't as popular as some might expect from posting and reading on the ww inter web.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 5:04 pm 
FFIMer

Hunter wrote:
maineangler wrote:
But why do barbed hooks still dominate the fishing (all forms) marketplace, if they don't hold inherent advantage?

Honestly- the answer is that most folks don't care about the damage they're going to do to what may become dinner. Conservation of fishery resources isn't as popular as some might expect from posting and reading on the ww inter web.

And when do barbs become a moot point on General/ALO waters. The law applying to us as fly fishermen states three single pointed hooks, yet you can be fishing next to someone legally fishing a rapala toting a pair of treble hooks. I'm not looking for a dissection of the law or starting a spin vs. fly debate, just raising the question for discussion. Are barbless only effective in FFO waters? Is fishing barbless in General/ALO waters only philosophically making a C&R difference?

Maine Angler- The same could be said about non rubber net bags and felt wading boots( Everyone remember the Didymo scare?)

To quote Mike Myers Coffee Talk skit from when SNL was funny: " Discuss, Discuss, Talk amongst yourselves"

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 5:14 pm 
FFIM-aholic

TGIF wrote:
Last time i saw Salmo chase down a brookie, it was not poetic... he took a pretty bad spill, and reminded me that he wasn't 22 any more.

I was like Baryshnikov in MT :lol: :shock: :roll:

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 5:25 pm 
FFIM Addict

Salmosebago wrote:

The dude in the pink, frilly tutu?

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 6:16 pm 
FFIMer

Hunter wrote:
Salmosebago wrote:

I think he meant Boris Karloff. Autocorrect.....

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 10:10 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Hunter wrote:
Salmosebago wrote:

Yes.....

Was actually closer to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BodXwAYeTfM

PostPosted: March 28th, 2017, 8:24 am 
FFIMer

I think with smaller hooks, barbless penetrates deeper into the fleshy skin over the jaw.

On larger nymphs and streamers, barbed hooks probably do hold better. But, man, I hate what those big hooks can do to a fish I'm going to release, barbless or not. Said to see all the lipless, scarred fish swimming around our popular rivers... It gives me pause.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2017, 8:48 am 
FFIM Addict

maineangler wrote:
But why do barbed hooks still dominate the fishing (all forms) marketplace, if they don't hold inherent advantage? Word apparently hasn't spread to the wider fishing public that barbless hooks provide a superior set...

At the risk of wading in over my head....

I truly believe that when people are strongly committed to a cause, perceptions change and statements are made in the never ending hope of changing others' behaviors, not necessarily to reflect the raw truth of anything.

Exhibit A for me was the whole Clinton/Monaca debacle that played out. I worked in an office of pretty bright people at the time, Mensa members, etc. To a person, the Democrats in the bunch thought Clinton did nothing wrong (ignoring the real issues of perjury and sexual harrassment), and, to a person, the Republicans all thought he should be hung and removed from office.

Independent thought?
Hardly.