FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: One year ago...
PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 6:23 am 
FFIM Addict

Wasn't it a change? I mean, didn't rivers and streams OPEN early last year? Weren't many of us gifted with a sudden trip to opener day waters 2 weeks early, and wasn't the fishing good!? I seem to remember getting to GLS one day after opening, and seeing many familiar faces as the social fishing of the year continued.

This year....I can hardly stand upright with a sore back from shoveling...the inside of my house is dark because the snow is so high outside that the light is blocked, it is expected to be 9 degrees tonight and snow this coming weekend may be possible.

What a difference a year makes!

Hutch

Post subject: Re: One year ago...
PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 9:51 am 
FFIM Addict

I remember one opener where the dirt roads were unusually dry and solid- opening up miles of not-often-reachable spring fishing. The opener that year produced air temps reaching 70 degrees. Little black stones were hatching- and brook trout rose to them. That might be the only opener I've every landed a wild trout on a dry fly on. More often than not- I've watched snowmobiles cross the dam in GLS on opening day, and maybe even drove one of those sleds across on the opener.

I spoke with one of the regional biologists over the weekend who is concerned over the impacts last years drought may have had on moving (non-lke run) cold water fisheries. Time will tell what the spring will unfold for us as far as fishing goes.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2017, 9:23 pm 

A huge difference indeed...but it's also worth remembering that last year was an exception among exceptions - Eagle Lake down on MDI had significant open water in February - never seen that before - even before last year I was tired of hearing myself think, "this is the lowest I've ever seen this stream..." This latest storm and cold snap were certainly a bonus but I'm still gonna go out on a limb and predict that this year's traditional opening day will be warmer than "usual", whatever that is...
All that said, for the first time in 20 years I won't be at GLS for the traditional opening day - for years now I've been threatening to change my routine and this year I'm doing it - this year at GLS should be even a little crazier than usual since opening day falls on a Saturday - I'll be by myself somewhere in the midcoast region - chances are fair that I won't even lay eyes on a LL salmon this year - then again, I might swing by GLS on the 2nd...now is the perfect time for anything to happen...Tight Lines!

PostPosted: March 18th, 2017, 9:02 am 
FFIM-aholic

Take a look at the USGS water site- "Ice" is the word of the day. We waded and caught fish in the K a year ago.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2017, 7:36 am 
FFIM-aholic

April 2 last year. Road was dry and easily passable. Fishing was fantastic! However - I'll take this year. That dry, passable road translated into low water and a horrible fall. Give me great spring skiing and more water this season - don't think I'll be in there 4/2/17!

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2017, 9:51 am 
FFIM-aholic

What a SLAB on that fish!
Maybe some Freshies Monday. Should be a great corn harvest this spring.
Brian, since we're only 9 days out..."normal" for April 1st is 48 in my backyard, and the forecast is calling for a high of 46 for that day with rain possible. Sounds about right.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2017, 10:16 am 
FFIM Addict

Timehop sent me a photo I posted two years ago of a magnolia all budded out in my yard. I apparently thought it was odd at the time, as the ground was covered in snow. Flash forward to today. The ground is covered with snow. It was snowing rather hard when I walked by the same magnolia en route to my truck this morning. The buds are about twice as big as they were two years ago on the same date.

I think there is enough water content to the snowpack left that spring fishing may actually turn out decent. I'm hopeful for a slow melt and infiltration into the ground for what's left. No fog please. A drive around the upper Andro, Sandy, and Carrabasset rivers over the weekend pointed to ample snowpack in the western hills, though evidence of ice breakup and intermittent jamming was evident (especially on the upper Carrabasset). Spring will look like spring in a week or two for many of us.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2017, 10:44 am 
FFIM Addict

[quote="Salmosebago"] low water and a horrible fall

What interesting perspectives we all have. My fall fishing was the best I've had in at least the last 15 years. The Tiny Olives came off, we were fishing dry flies well into mid-November. I guess it all depends on where we each choose to fish.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I really like low water. Fish don't swim in air, and I get to wade mostly where I want to wade. Water too low isn't good, but I'll take low water over high, muddy, unwadable water any time.

Dave M

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2017, 3:04 pm 
FFIMer

Salmosebago wrote:
Give me great spring skiing

Now you're just baiting people. Let the spring rains take over at this point.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2017, 3:51 pm 
FFIM Addict

RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
Salmosebago wrote:

Hey Noah- the ark isn't quite ready yet. Let's let the snow melt unassisted please. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2017, 5:55 pm 
FFIMer

Hunter wrote:
RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
Salmosebago wrote:

Hey Noah- the ark isn't quite ready yet. Let's let the snow melt unassisted please. :mrgreen:

Didn't you buy a drift boat so you could fish in any flow?
Besides, Spring lasts until June 21st. I'll take spring rains until then. This snow is for the birds.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2017, 7:28 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Yeah - I could take a little more snow Roundabout and some freshies would be just fine maineangler! :twisted: Hunter is right; a nice, orderly melt is fine with me. Slowly feed the streams, dry the roads, keep the water moderately high and cool. Dave M - I get it - in your case it was great to not have all the olives flushed before they had a chance to hatch. I did have a chance to hit that on the Andro a bit - loads of fun! I was talking more about the tribs where flow was needed to get the fish moving. One mans trash is another mans treasure! Regardless - in a very short time - there will be fish to be caught, just have to find them!

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 9:31 am 
FFIM Addict

RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
Hunter wrote:

Didn't you buy a drift boat so you could fish in any flow?

I did. But I need to service the grease hubs on the wheels and check the lights before going to far with it. And that isn't slated until after the apple trees get pruned. Life balances.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 7:05 pm 
FFIMer

Hunter wrote:

I did. But I need to service the grease hubs on the wheels and check the lights before going to far with it. And that isn't slated until after the apple trees get pruned. Life balances.

Huh. Sounds like you better get busy. Give me a shout when you're done with all that and the boat is ready.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 8:54 pm 
FFIMer

Geeze Hunter.... putting apples before trout, what's wrong with you? 8)

If your anything like me you put your boat trailer behind your house where it is currently burried in a foot of crusty snow and it's 2 flat tires are frozen into the base layer of ice 2 inches think. I also managed to smash a tail light with the canoe and break a thwart and I need to mount my anchor lock, so I've got some work to do myself.

Peter