FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 19th, 2017, 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Desk problem-tying
PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 11:06 am 
FFIMer

Look for a computer desk. Most regular height desks and tables seem a little too high for comfortable tying. Computer desks are a little lower and that seems to make all the difference.
Re: Matrimonial Bliss - marry a quilter.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 11:24 am 
FFIM-aholic

Hutch, computer desks make fine tying desks. You can find some great deals at office supply stores or online. (closeouts - since they change designs so often). Many with build in storage like mine. Many so simple they look like a bench more than a desk. I like the keyboard slideout. I try to keep materials on the desktop and my tools on the keyboard slideout. Saves a lot of searching if I can make myself do it. Also the slideout acts as a catch-all basket for material trimming and scraps.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 5:26 pm 
FFIMer

Hutch, Farrins Country Auction Randolf .Auction, March 16th. They have a nice Ladies Drop front secretary. I think the "Ladies" designation refers to the book shelf with glass doors that sits on top of the desk. The auction listing calls it a Governor Winthrop desk. I googled both names and the pictures looked very similar to me but I'm not a furniture guy. This looks like a nice one. Scroll down through the pictures about 3/4 of the way. If you get to the guns you've gone too far. This would hide your fly tying stuff in a very classy piece of furniture.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 9:26 pm 
FFIM Addict

How about a new secretary?

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: March 31st, 2017, 3:51 pm 
FFIMer

Hutch, this is my bench, I've had it for more than 20 years. I bought it at the Prison Shop in Thomaston. I've become so used to it I don't think i will ever change to another one. For those not familiar with the Prison Shop, they sell wood products made by the inmates at the Maine State Prison, also located in Warren, very well-made, no frills often un-finished but very practical and reasonably priced. By the way, it hasn't been this clean in years, I've just finished cleaning it up, saw this post, and had to take advantage of it. TerryImage

PostPosted: March 31st, 2017, 4:51 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Cool desk. The nh state prison does the same. But they have some real talent in there. My uncle recently bought a beautiful dining room table, complete with nice ornamental dove tails and inlays.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: March 31st, 2017, 5:08 pm 
FFIM Addict

Terry.....

That's the exact same desk I have. Mine came unfinished from Chiltons in Freeport. I can't imagine how many tens of thousands of flies I've tied on mine. I think I got mine as a gift in 1991. (Perhaps??)

Dave M

PS: I've seen the area Hutch ties in, and the desk he has/had, and if he's still tying n that area this desk of ours will be much too wide for that space.