FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 17th, 2017, 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Desk problem-tying
PostPosted: March 11th, 2017, 9:11 pm 
FFIM Addict

My desk has fallen into agedness...and after repeated fixes, it has been announced by SHE that this "eye sore" must become landfill. This is causing a little stress in the Hutchins world, as I bought a cheap desk 18 years ago...and can't seem to find a place that sells a desk I like- any suggestions out there? Space is an issue, as I am allowed a corner in the dining room (with much grumbling about even that allowed space...)

Hutch

Post subject: Re: Desk problem-tying
PostPosted: March 11th, 2017, 10:28 pm 
FFIMer

Hutch, I tried to upload a photo of the solution but it says board attachment quota has been reached. I'll have to defer that to someone with more technical ability than myself.
Anyway, the misses and I have an arrangement. When I made the commitment to cohabitation(not easy after bachelor pads for a long time) my only sticking point was that my tying gear, desk and associated fishing gear was not going to be relegated to the basement or boxes. The solution was the spare bedroom, complete with recliner, television and stereo. I have rods in the corner, waders hanging on the door, and I can leave rings from the beer on the end table without fear. Let's be clear. This was no line in the sand or any type of machismo assertion.
It came with a price. The rest of the house, and I mean every square inch of it outside of my little corner of what once was is HERS. The décor. The color of the walls. The insistence that every single appliance matches color. Where things go in the refrigerator. I have no say. "Yes, that's nice, whatever you think." The cat has more priveleges than I do.
I however, have my sanctum sanctorum. A place where I can strip wood duck wildly, and without retribution. Where topo maps are pinned to the wall with (gasp) thumbtacks. A place where I don't give a damn what color the curtains are. Solace.
I write this from this place where I planned to spend tomorrow filling my nymph box.But I can't. The orders have come down that tomorrow I am painting our(hers) bedroom tomorrow. I'm not sure what color, I just nodded approvingly while she picked it out.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 8:46 am 
FFIM-aholic

Get a backbone dudes! :lol:
Seriously, though. Don't these ladies understand that this is a very healthy hobby? Men can do far worse with their spare time. Many do.
A few years ago, when we started to finish off our basement, a good buddy of mine in the concrete countertop business helped me build a concrete bar down there. Kind of a boomerang shape. So now we have a nice place to enjoy drinks with company, which she loves, and I have a sweeping tying "desk" for fly creations. I simply bring out the boxes of materials I will need, and my vice, and set up at the bar with a cold beer, near the warm woodstove. It's Perfect. After tying, the materials and vice go back in their boxes and onto shelves in the utility room.
Except when they don't, and I do hear about that.
She loves to knit, more than I tie, but we often are doing it at the same time. A snapshot of our futures as old geezers.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 9:10 am 
FFIM Addict

R.a.C.----did you marry my sister-in-law? There seems to be a family resemblance. I tried the bedroom quest---as we have a spare(in fact, that room does not average ONE person per year)....nope. "We could have company."...I dream of that bedroom in a color not mint green....and filled with rods and guns...

Best I can do is a corner. Small corner. And grumbles....from both parties.

Hutch

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 10:22 am 
FFIMer

Hutch wrote:
I dream of that bedroom in a color not mint green....and filled with rods and guns...
Hutch

As do I Hutch... our spare room hasn't seen another person in its bed in at least 4 years. But it's there "just in case" I do keep a few totes of tying material(the rarely used stuff) in there, as well as some hunting clothes and a little bit of fishing stuff. My tying desk consistent of a small table I built in high school, with all my material jammed into even more totes, 7 or 8 stacked up just barelyout of the way. All shoved to the side of our living room. I'm desperately seeking a small cabinet with lots of small drawers so I can be somewhat organized. Rods, waders, boots, nets (especially) all are banished to the garage for the winter. Guns have a minuscule nook in the living room to live in their safe.
What I would give to have a basement....

Peter

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 11:31 am 
FFIMer

Put your foot down, and tell her " If I can't tie flies here in the house where I want to, then I'm going to a bar".
It worked for me.
I hit most every Happy Hour 5-6 nights a week...........
Showed her!

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 11:53 am 
FFIM Addict

Loop--- you know- and ALL America knows you couldn't tie a fly if your life depended on it. A Shakey Beeley is not named shakey because of YOUR hands. And, your wife out-thought you--- it was a win/win for her...do they yell your name when you stumble in each afternoon?

Oh--Loop...you have possibly the greatest Man Room in Maine, and not one fly has ever been tied in it. Though many have "tied one on" in that room-which is a different thing all together.

PIKE!!!!!!!

Hutch

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 12:24 pm 
FFIMer

Jon, This is not lack of backbone.Consider it positioning for a basement bar.As soon as I get MY junk cleaned out. Waiting for yard sale weather...

Peter- You should have put a wood stove in that shed you built....

Hutch, it sounds like your situation is such that there can be no solution from the audience here.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 12:40 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I would hunt Craig's list for a nice big roll too desk... half the mess is concealsed in 2 seconds. I keep my space orderly, but have enough strippings and clippings on the floor to recreate a chicken.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 12:40 pm 
FFIM Addict

My tying room is 288 air miles/315 road miles removed. No problems.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 4:22 pm 
FFIMer

Hutch, my desk is a secretary-style one - you know, the front drops down and is the writing/tying surface. It doesn't take up a lot of floor space owing to its upright nature, and the front can be closed when it's not in use, helping in the matrimonial bliss department. It's not huge but serves my modest tying needs.

Good luck! Jeff

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 4:38 pm 
FFIM Addict

Jeff- I also have a secretary w/ fold down tying area....but WHERE to find one is the question.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 5:05 pm 
FFIM Addict

I do have a nice tying desk waiting for my retirement. My wife picked it out and I'll make it work. ALready have some materials stored in it as I was setting it so I could tie on trips home. Problem there was splitting so much material to be able to tie a variety. It never really worked out in that aspect. It's a little fancier than I may have chosen, but I do enjoy my scotch in its fancy decanter sitting in it. My "work" set-up is a table from Ikea and Six drawer chest on castors for materials, tools, hooks etc.

In your situation Hutch "compromise" and a kindly "yes dear" should work.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 11:21 pm 
FFIMer

Hutch, It sounds like you are trying to replace a drop front secretary desk. They show up with some frequency at Houston Brooks auction house in Burnham. At their web site, starting on Wednesday evenings, you can view pictures of items coming to auction the following Sunday. Some are newish and some antique. Prices and condition vary. Good luck.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 6:27 am 
FFIM Addict

Thanks Hatch!!! I will look.

HUtch