FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 23rd, 2017, 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2017 conclave
PostPosted: March 9th, 2017, 12:04 am 
FFIMer

As I understand things, thiss year there was not going to be a conclave and last years fell apart and never happened
i am trying to put one together for this June 9th,10th and leave on Sunday the 11th [ if you want ]

I have already approached Casey's Spencer bay campground and they are all for it .
i am posting this to see if I can get any kind of head count for that friday and sat ..the following weekend is Fathers day

I am not planning to have a huge effort to collect prizesor auction items and stick more to a few casting clinics ,some burgers or steaks on the grill with a few beers tossed in here and there ..
I hope you will all give this some thought so i will know whether or not to move ahead with this or not .. Your thoughts and help will be greatly appreciated
thanks
mike clayton
mikemenh@yahoo.com
603-538-9887

Post subject: Re: 2017 conclave
PostPosted: March 9th, 2017, 12:45 pm 
FFIMer

This is a good idea, I hope I can make it. Its a little far out for me to commit to a weekend right now. I have not been able to make the last 2 or 3 conclaves, but I always enjoyed hanging out with people I don't see nearly enough. Is this on Moosehead? I'm not familiar with the area at all, and would be a good excuse for me to get up there.

Peter

PostPosted: March 9th, 2017, 12:54 pm 
FFIMer

yes .This campground has hundreds of yards [prolly closer to 1000 feet of waterfront on moosehead...last time i was there it was calm like glass and i sat on the steps to my cabin and watched the salmon jumping out of the water with lakers rolling all over the place ..plenty of trout ponds in the area also ,though i have been told the road leading to the telos bridge is not in the same great shape it has always been.. so allow a little extra time if you really want to fish the big eddy ... Casey has again offfered to cook us a bean hole kettle of baked beans that simmer ina hole in the ground most of the day ..I really loved that place

PostPosted: March 9th, 2017, 6:29 pm 
FFIM Addict

I'm not sure I can make another event this spring (full calendar), but Casey's was one of my favorite FFIM conclave locations. Lots of space, rod demos, lake views, EO, WO, Moose, WB and Roach all relatively close, along with a ton of ponds. That location did put a lot of pressure on the Roach River, but flows likely won't be as engaging there due to flow regime management changes.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2017, 10:37 pm 
FFIM Addict

Mike, if you're going to have an auction or raffle please let me know. I might have something for you.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2017, 7:21 pm 
FFIMer

Thank you kind sir .I / we are most greatful to you ... I hope a few more people with this much class step up to the plate as well.

oh yes .I have been told that i should mention that this little get together is not sanctioned by FFIM or any of their cohorts !
This will simply be a simple fun time to drink a few beers and burn a few hamburgs or steaks and tell some lies .. Perhaps one or more people will step forward to show us how to cast a fly ..
I'd love to hear from a few others if you are beginning to get a handle on the time frame
Thanks all
mike Clayton
143 A camp otter Road
Pittsburg,NH 03592

603-538-9887
mikemenh@yahoo.com

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2017, 9:41 pm 
FFIMer

Okay,so we now have 4-5 people who might be interested in this get together ..any chance a few more
have a chance to be there? i might bring along one of my antique boats to do a littel casting along the shore of the camp ground ..last time the salmon and brookis were rising like crazy and i cursed myself for not bringing a boat

COME ON ,PLEASE LET ME HEAR FROM YOU ALL

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 7:58 pm 
FFIM Addict

Mike, looking at your dates I think you will find it an excellent time to roll down the road a bit and hit the Roach. The fishing could be great depending, of course, on weather and flow.

I did stop and visit the first Casey Campground conclave way back when. If you recall we had just fished the Rapid with The Old Guide, quite a trip as he was sick and didn't know the reason at that time. He was quite the character. Regarding your plans, as it happens with my annual schedule I now fish the West Branch the 1st week of June every year and then again in mid-June so with limited time 300-mile trips are on a budget. After 30 years I'm sort of tired of too many 600 mile round trips.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 8:25 pm 
FFIMer

Thanks al.
It is odd the way things turn out . I picked up the old guide from a freind who had transferred him up from down around portland. then we headed for the cabins on the river [ i don't remember the name of the camps but they are quite famous .the owners at the time were true "dicks " and not accomodating in any way . The guide had complained about having a sore throat o the way up so we stopped at a hospital emergency room and they gave him some throat stuff. little did wwe know that he would be dead from throat cancer three years from then .i was with him when it startedd I also paid for his stay at those camps out of my own pocket ... we made it to the conclave and had a nice time I hope to see you thhis summer .I may be able to stop by the Big eddy and see you one day

PostPosted: March 24th, 2017, 11:00 am 
FFIM Addict

Brookie wrote:
Thanks al.
It is odd the way things turn out . I picked up the old guide from a freind who had transferred him up from down around portland. then we headed for the cabins on the river [ i don't remember the name of the camps but they are quite famous .the owners at the time were true "dicks " and not accomodating in any way . The guide had complained about having a sore throat o the way up so we stopped at a hospital emergency room and they gave him some throat stuff. little did wwe know that he would be dead from throat cancer three years from then .i was with him when it startedd I also paid for his stay at those camps out of my own pocket ... we made it to the conclave and had a nice time I hope to see you thhis summer .I may be able to stop by the Big eddy and see you one day

Mike, the Camps are called Lakewood Camps, still going strong I believe. We happened to catch them when they were brand new and it was obvious they knew very little about how to run a set of camps. They were certainly a far cry from the previous owners.

Love to see you if you're ever in the Big Eddy area. Shoot me a note ahead of time.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 11:37 am 
FFIM-aholic

hi guys I will definitely try and make it, I've always loved the conclaves, hope we can get a bunch of people there. it's a great time to bring your kids or other kids to show them flyfishing
don

DRATS just talked to Rosie and we have a wedding the 10th, a girl we baby sat for from 1 year to age 12 so I can't make it really bummed !!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 6:03 am 
FFIMer

WE GONNA NEED AT LEAST 10 MORE PEOPLE IN ORDER TO MAKE IT A 'GET TOGHETHER"

anyone else out there can make it ??if not we will have to cancel the 'conclave ' and just have a fun camp out for a couple of days
please give it some serious thought
thanks
mike

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2017, 12:45 pm 
FFIMer

Because the only two people who have logged in to attend the conclave ARE MY WIFE AND I ,I AM gonna have to make the call on this one and make it official::::The 2017 conclave is now officially cancelled. I still plan to go but looks like a nice quiet weekend .sorry everyone but I gave it a second try !!!!

MAYBE NEXT YEAR !!!!!!!!