FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently July 24th, 2017, 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DIY Labrador
PostPosted: February 26th, 2017, 7:59 pm 
FFIMer

Hi folks,
Before I get any older and these opportunities pass me by. I am in the early stages of planning a trip up to Labrador. Looking at taking two weeks off and traveling North on motorcycle while tenting and light weight camping. Was thinking the last two weeks of June but can be flexible.

Looking for ideas of areas and water sheds to focus on for some brook trout activity. Can a rewarding trip like this be had on a budget without hiring a guide and spending a fortune?

I am pretty well set with travel, camping and fishing gear. Aware of the potential travel conditions and hoards of black flies and mosquitos. I plan to travel around and see as much as I can while there but it is a huge region.

Any advise is appreciated, resources to read up on, time to go, areas to fish, must have flies, areas to explore for sight seeing, etc. Thanks, feel free to pm or email if you prefer not to share info online.

This is a bit of a test run to see what works and doesn't for a 5 week trip to Alaska in 2018 on motorcycle as well.

Robcindymc@gmail(dot)com
Sixguns (Rob)

Post subject: Re: DIY Labrador
PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 12:08 pm 
FFIMer

Highly recommend that you do your homework. Read the Newfoundland and Labrador (NL) angling regulations. Wildlife violations are serious business in NL. You can start here with your reading:
http://www.nfl.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/NL/AG/GuideRequirements

I am more than happy to share my 24 years experience in Labrador with you. You are welcome to contact me with questions. As a Labrador outfitter, I assure you I personally have no issues with your DIY adventures and am again offering my experiences.

CR

PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 7:27 pm 
FFIMer

Thank you for the link and I will definately be reaching out to you in the near future via a PM for your advice and guidance as I do not wish to run afoul of the law.

This trip is part bike ride, part solo lightweight camping, part sight-seeing and exploration with a desire to fish a little along the way to say I have fished/caught a brook trout in Labrador. :-)

Is it possible to hire a guide just for a day to get onto some better water? The package deals online for a week at a lodge w/ guide seem to run anywhere from $3,500 all the way up to $10,000.

As a simple working man that raised 5 children, that is just not possible in my budget but I still want to get out and explore, even if it is not the trip of a lifetime for some...it may be "the trip" in my lifetime.
Sixguns

PostPosted: February 28th, 2017, 2:15 pm 
FFIM Addict

I haven't been, but I envision the road to Labrador to be similar to the Golden Road. Long, rough, shale-based, with few gas stations along the way. I'd be prepared to go a few hundred miles between fuel stops. I'm not sure how you'd carry a spare tire with you, though imagine it could be done somehow on a motorcycle.

From what others have told me, the fishing immediately along the road is spotty at best. A lot of the rivers freeze solid in the winter, limiting the fish size class significantly. The better fisheries along the route are also hit pretty hard for consumptive use. Still- it's all about the adventure. If you don't mind prospecting for small to medium, wild trout- the road to Labrador sounds and looks like a fun trip.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2017, 7:27 pm 
FFIMer

Talked with a nice couple from up that way at the Sportsman's show in Orono last weekend. They provided some good insights on the fishing and assured me that I would not be wasting my time.
New plan is to head up that way the 2nd and 3rd week of July. :D
Sixguns

PostPosted: May 6th, 2017, 5:53 am 
FFIMer

As the Labrador adventure draws near, I have looked at the KLR more and more knowing in my heart that it would do the trip but questioning my comfort.

Since Alaska is in the plans for next year and I know that I don't want to do that trip with the KLR...I bit the bullet and upgraded.

The deal has been made and the KLR and I will be doing 1 last road trip next week to Max BMW Connecticut where she will stay and I will ride the new wheels home to start new adventures.

The new ride is a nicely customized 2012 BMW R1200GSA in triple black with 18,000 miles.

Sixguns

Attachments:
10020_198081.jpg
10020_198081.jpg [ 196.43 KiB | Viewed 590 times ]

PostPosted: May 6th, 2017, 10:47 am 
FFIM Addict

Nice scoot, I ride an '04 Rockster.

Attachment:
DSCN3591.JPG
DSCN3591.JPG [ 126.7 KiB | Viewed 534 times ]

PostPosted: May 6th, 2017, 1:52 pm 
FFIMer

Obviously, big boy rules apply and you can do what you want, but I would be very hesitant to make a bike trip on the road from baie comeau to lab city. The road itself can be awful, but the big problem is the huge (and I mean "huge" based on its definition, not as our orange leader uses it) mining vehicles and trucks that transit the road. Aside from the fact that they kick up killer size rocks, the dust cloud found behind them can look like Oklahoma in the 1930s. Tough riding a bike in those conditions.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2017, 5:36 pm 
FFIM-aholic

What fun!

We found this site pretty accurate both times we drove up (certainly Crossroads would know the latest), The road was much better than we expected, much paved.

http://www.tlhwy.com/central/virtualtou ... 38901.html

On the eastern side, from Blanc-Sablon to Cartwright, the road was also good. The pavement was good as far as Red Bay, and there was much to see - ancient gravesite along side those of Basque whalers, below the looming Point Amour Lighthouse there's a beach with World War II ordinance. North of Red Bay the woods seem wild, the stream crossings always had wild if not huge brook trout. We were told that the char fishing is good off the dock in Cartwright but we didn't try it.

We haven't been on the Labrador City to Cartwright section, yet. Looking forward to your report. We met a couple who did it on a motorcycle with a little dog they had adopted (legally), saving it from starving at a remote settlement dumpster.

Kat (and David)

PostPosted: May 8th, 2017, 9:08 am 
FFIMer

Kat's road link above is very accurate and a good reference. There is more paved road now, about 50 miles south of Gagnon were paved a couple of years ago. My only add to the drive is to be careful on all paved surfaces. You impulse will be to make good time on them, but there are frost heaves that will send a motorsickle airborn. Pay attention.

Also, about 20 KM north of the second gas/food facility, you'll see a small parking lot on the right side with a sign that says "Crooked Stick" in French. (The sign actually has a crooked stick!)
If you want a nice break, park there, walk back across the culvert (with a beautiful stream running through it) and head upstream on the trail to the south of the creek. That area is filled with the work of "Woods Artists", complete with two neat cabins and even a spa. Usually deserted in the summer time, but very busy in winter.

Just STOP when a truck approaches. Move far to the right and watch out for rocks. Trucks do throw up gravel and I have lost three windshields in the 55 round-trips I have made. If you are in the dust cloud of a truck you're following, keep an eye out behind you. Vehicles will be riding his ass trying to pass.
If I were on a bike, I think I would wait for some rain to dampen the dust. It can get really freaky when you're stuck in the dust clouds.

Have fun. Enjoy the ride.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2017, 10:49 am 
FFIMer

Excellent info. thank you all for taking the time to share and type it all out. I am excited and looking forward to the trip.
Sixguns