FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fly Swap anyone?
PostPosted: January 26th, 2017, 12:43 pm 
FFIMer

I thought it might be fun to do a fly swap this winter... but slightly different then your usual fly swap. Most everyone has those 2 or 3 patterns in their box that work for them but most people don't tie or even know about. It could be a custom made original pattern, variations on existing patterns, an old school pattern from decades ago, or just one that is obscure. Pick one, tie up a dozen (or however many people sign up) then you'd send the flies to me, along with a printout of the recipe and a self addressed stamped envelope. I will make copies of the recipe and distribute them with the flies to all the participants.

How's that sound?

Peter

Post subject: Re: Fly Swap anyone?
PostPosted: January 26th, 2017, 12:59 pm 
FFIMer

I'm in. I'll add a suggestion to the mix, how about any pattern that isn't an original be a Maine pattern?

PostPosted: January 26th, 2017, 7:08 pm 
FFIMer

I Know there are plenty of tyres here. Let's hear from you...

PostPosted: January 26th, 2017, 7:20 pm 
FFIM Addict

Well......

I probably tie at least a dozen a day, but I can't truthfully say that I have any secret patterns that nobody else ties, or fishes . So let's put it this way. I'll be in if I can tie what I want, but I really don't have any secret patterns

Dave M

PostPosted: January 26th, 2017, 7:31 pm 
FFIMer

Haha, I'm fine with that Dave... my thought was to put a little spin on it, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

We've gotta have 9 other people on here who tie... right?

Peter

PostPosted: January 27th, 2017, 7:47 am 
FFIMer

Same as Dave, I don't have a secret fly. But I'll play otherwise.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2017, 10:02 am 
FFIMer

I'll join in Peter. Also a shameless plug for the Kennebec Fly Tiers. 1st and 3rd Thursday, 6:30pm, Buker Center (across from the armory) in Augusta. Hope to see some of you on February 2nd!

PostPosted: January 27th, 2017, 10:22 am 
FFIM Addict

What Lane S, Dave M, and Iggy said. I'm interested, depending on when flies are due. I've got a few donation fly boxes to fill before I'd be able to get to swap flies.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2017, 3:54 pm 
FFIMer

Let's shoot for the last week of February, that will hopefully give us enough time to get more people and for everyone to tie their flies.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2017, 12:28 pm 
FFIM Addict

Peter.....

Can you pm me your address? I'll tie up my special Clousers in Crawdad colors. Now when folks get these I'll put in a pre-emptive strike here. Some will look at them with furrowed eyebrows and raised crinkled up noses and say "They're tied wrong". I guess that might be my special secret......if, in fact,I have such a thing. The lead-free eyes will be tied, and super glued in WAY farther back than you see on commercially tied Clousers.

The man that invented the fly, Bob Clouser showed me how he ties his, and it's unlike commercially tied ones. Most commercially tied Clousers have the eyes jammed up against the eye of the hook......in effect, turning a Streamer into a jig.

Clouser wants his flies to sink fairly level.....and to wobble on the way down. That's the way mine will be tied. I've caught just about every fish that swims in Maine ( except Carp.....I'm still working on that one) with this fly.

I originally tied it up as a Smallmouth fly for my little Smallmouth stream just north of Lewiston.....but found these dynamite for all trout and Landlocks, too.

I think the swappers will enjoy them.

Dave M

PostPosted: January 28th, 2017, 4:24 pm 
FFIM-aholic

On that topic Dave... do you still tie the body in behind the eyes or do the clauser eyes become buried within the body?

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: January 28th, 2017, 5:05 pm 
FFIM Addict

TGIF wrote:
On that topic Dave... do you still tie the body in behind the eyes or do the clauser eyes become buried within the body?

Tim......

Not quite sure what you mean? On a Clouser there actually is no body. All the buck tail is tied in at the front of the eyes, but on mine I do tie in the belly to the hook shank.....so, I guess, in effect the belly becomes the body of the fly.....if that's what you mean.

On many Clousers the entire fly looks less like a baitfish and more like a paint brush. Tiring in the belly to the hook shank eliminates that scenario.

Dave M

PostPosted: January 29th, 2017, 10:41 am 
FFIM-aholic

I guess my question is more, if you put the eyes mid fly, do you still start the wing and belly at the hook eye, or further back close set to where the eyes are.

Or, mind posting a pic? I need to tie some char flies.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: January 29th, 2017, 12:02 pm 
FFIM Addict

TGIF wrote:
I guess my question is more, if you put the eyes mid fly, do you still start the wing and belly at the hook eye, or further back close set to where the eyes are.

Or, mind posting a pic? I need to tie some char flies.

Ok...now I understand. I tie in the belly hair, the flash, and the top wing hair all ar the front of the hook right behind the eye. There will be, on the belly, a gap that you can put your bodkin in in front of the eyes. I also coat the belly hair with either Hard as Hull or Sally Hansens over the hair that goes over the eyes so the bucktail doesn't split.

Dave M

PostPosted: January 30th, 2017, 2:08 am 
FFIM-aholic

Got it! Thanks.