FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 17th, 2017, 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 18th, 2017, 9:30 am 

We had a guest visit with us at our Holiday Party last Saturday, at Gritty's in Freeport - Jeff Stern of the Androscoggin River Watershed Council joined us and got us up to speed on what his organization is up to these days - as it turns out, the ARWC is one of a surprising number of groups out there doing some impressive habitat improvement projects. Jeff talked specifically about a logging dam removal project that will be happening this summer in the Sunday River watershed and volunteers will be needed. The project looks like it will be happening some time in late July or early August and is expected to take about 3 days. If any of you in this community would be interested in this volunteer opportunity please stay tuned for for more details. Everyone is invited to check out the ARWC website at: http://arwc.camp7.org/ and their Facebook as well - Thanks & we hope to see some FFIMers on the crew!

PostPosted: January 18th, 2017, 9:51 am 
FFIMer

Jeff is putting together some information about the project and what FFIM'S role will entail. This project is also eligible for matching grants from the Eastern Brook Trout Joint Venture, and Foley was the first FFIMer to make a contribution. For anyone wishing to contribute to this project contact FFIM board treasurer, Maura Halkiotis at mhalkiotis@flyfishinginmaine.org

PostPosted: January 18th, 2017, 2:18 pm 
FFIM-aholic

If we could make it happen Aug 11-12-13 that would be ideal! Our camp in Bethel will be available and there's a fair amount of bed/floor space. The weekend 4-5-6 is this, http://profile.pmc.org/CB0114 and I CAN'T/WON'T miss that. Really looking forward to it!

PostPosted: January 19th, 2017, 3:03 pm 
FFIMer

Aug 11-13 works perfect for me!

PostPosted: January 20th, 2017, 7:20 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Not sure I can do all 3 days but I'm there for at least one! Gimme a grip hoist and I'm happy!

Ken

PostPosted: January 21st, 2017, 10:04 am 
FFIM-aholic

Something in the hood! Sweet. The andro is a favorite, too. I'm in.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2017, 1:05 pm 
FFIMer

Yup, should be another good one! I might not be able to do all 3 days but I'll be up for what I can.

Peter

PostPosted: January 24th, 2017, 12:12 pm 
FFIMer

As promised, here are the details from Jeff Stern of the Androscoggin River Watershed Council

FFIM volunteers are welcome to assist in a Brook Trout habitat restoration project this summer that
will open five miles of high altitude streams to Brook Trout movement and colonization in the
headwaters of the Sunday River. The project, which is being coordinated by the Androscoggin River
Watershed Council (ARWC), seeks to remove the remains of a log driving dam that blocks fish passage
on the West Branch of the Sunday River in Riley Township on the western edge of Maine.
This is a part of the Eastern Brook Trout Joint Venture (EBTJV), a private-public partnership dedicated
to restoring the fish to its historic range. Streams in western Maine, including the Sunday River and its
tributaries, receive EBTJV’s highest quality ranking for Brook Trout habitat.
ARWC’s partners include the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife, U.S. Fish & Wildlife
Service, Project SHARE, the Mollyocket Chapter of Trout Unlimited, and the Androscoggin Valley Soil &
Water Conservation District.
In the early 1900s log driving dams were everywhere in the western mountains. They were used to
flush logs out of the mountains during the region’s timber harvesting heyday. Over time most have
deteriorated to the point they no longer block fish passage. But a few still pose a problem and this is one
of them.
Grip hoists, which resemble giant come-alongs or winches, will be used to dismantle the dam. It is
anticipated the project will take three days. Depending on weather and flow conditions, removal is
planned for late June, July or early August 2017. We’ll narrow down the date in the coming months and
be sure to keep FFIM informed as plans progress.
In addition to contributions of muscle power, individual cash contributions are also welcome. ARWC’s
mailing address is: P.O. Box 1541, Bethel, ME 04217. For more information, call Jeff Stern,
Environmental Planner for ARWC, at 207-595-0317 or email him at sternjm@hotmail.com.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2017, 11:19 am 
FFIM-aholic

So is someone here recruiting/gathering/coordinating volunteers from FFIM and then coordinating that with this organization?

Or are we to contact them directly?

PostPosted: February 24th, 2017, 11:24 am 
FFIM Addict

InTheTrees wrote:
So is someone here recruiting/gathering/coordinating volunteers from FFIM and then coordinating that with this organization?

Or are we to contact them directly?

Talk with Roundaboutcaddis or post here. RAC is the FFIM interface with Jeff @ AWRC.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2017, 12:16 pm 
FFIMer

In The Trees, send me an email or PM and we can talk. cnickerson@flyfishinginmaine.org

PostPosted: May 1st, 2017, 4:56 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Did the dates get set for this?

PostPosted: May 1st, 2017, 5:05 pm 
FFIM Addict

The last I knew, the organizer was looking at the week before the 4th of July.

Also- there's another conservation opportunity in the works involving cleanup of the dump @ the Dump Pool on the Roach River. More details to follow once the dust settles a little- but I'm expecting a work party w/ burgers to follow.

PostPosted: May 1st, 2017, 5:54 pm 
FFIMer

The FFIM board met last Thursday and the Sunday River project was discussed. I have held off posting any dates because we have not yet received any firm date from ARWC, as they are working on the details. FFIMs capacity is solely a volunteer base for them to draw upon as long as it fits into the details. As soon as we hear more it will be up on the forum.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2017, 12:09 pm 
FFIMer

All, Unfortunately due to the requirement that volunteers on this project be covered by workers comp, We (FFIM) will not be able to participate. We look forward to being able to assist ARWC on future projects. Thanks to those who stepped up to volunteer, offer up lodging etc.