FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 18th, 2019, 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: E.O. TR 11/11-11/13
PostPosted: November 14th, 2016, 7:35 am 
FFIM Addict

As has been the habit for the last 5 years, Gussa and his spawn and a few other selected dipsomaniacs trudge up to the EO to brave the uncommon cold and bitter fishing- mostly as a form of penance and self flagellation. I go along to raise the tone of the group.

AS we all came from far and wide, it must have looked like a parking lot when 9 of us got to Wilson's and unloaded. We stayed in the "Ski Lodge", which could have held TWICE as many as we had people...but the room we had was awesome. Of course, as soon as we arrived the 40 knot winds brought down wires and we had no power---but we started a nice wood stove and hit the water.

On good authority, I had a firm contention that streamers were the way to go....which turns out kind of like the election for president....the obvious choice was not the chosen choice. Streamers took ONE fish for me all weekend.

Water was flowing at 710 CFS which is silly low. And I did mention the wind-- along with the Dumbass, I went to the Y pool and looked to spot fish... but with water best measured in inches not feet, it was slower than in years past. I landed 1 salmon- and D.A. got 3. We moved on. No boats, and no other fishers in sight. We went to spot #2 and found a very strong group of salmon and NO trout...eggs made fish bolt. We ended up matching something in the small nymph area, and took fish here in better numbers- but frankly, I about froze my nickers off. In the end, Friday allowed me to have a small dozen of salmon-no trout. Dinner was EPIC, with Gussa being Chef. We had steak tips on the grill, salads and finger foods of various styles.

Saturday was the big day- we hit the water early...or by 8am anyway. This is when we found that a few fish rose. Gussa had escaped from the kitchen (though he went back early to start to smoke the night's ribs-YUM!) and he and I stood above the bridge and we both spotted some foolish fish rising. He covered it with a "Gray Drake"...which turned out to be a P'tail emerger...and took the fish on dry. And then another...and finished on a third. He was a little chippy about catching trout on dries in November- but we had to let him spout as none of US was catching anything...in fact, I was wearing the smell of skunk. They all left me...bitter and sad. I landed 22. Soft hackles were just silly...and of course it turns out that a stocking had happened, and I lucked into some beautiful trout, but they were all in a very small area...

I moved on in the afternoon, and watched as my peers found fish up and down the river- some monster salmon, and a few wondering trout. By nightfall, we were all ready for another dinner- and we then played a little poker/lied extensively, and fell asleep early.

Sunday- I know we looked stupid, but as part of tradition we all fish TOGETHER on Sunday...so if you saw 8 guys (Walker had headed to a meeting early) all standing side by side int he river- that was us. We would watch one sad soul (or sole-depending) fish and suffer the beating of group commentary. Gussa- having run his mouth to the point of reverse infanticide, had to put up or shut up. He put up- landed his closer on a claret spinner- DRY. I admit we were once again pounding the stockers, but they were bright colored and fought well. We all landed a fish- some landed more than one, and we all were able to close the season on a fish. As my friends left to head home, I moved out into unfished water to fish a little less numbskull fish. I had the river below the highway bridge to myself as far as I could see, and I made it to where I wanted to be with the help of a wade staff...and in time, ended 2016 on a 17 inch blustery salmon-male...who made the unpleasant fact of being hooked evident by jumping 3 times as he screamed across the water. I netted him, took my fly and thanked all involved for a great closer-fish, friends and food- what more could we ask?

Hutch

Post subject: Re: E.O. TR 11/11-11/13
PostPosted: November 15th, 2016, 9:04 am 
FFIM-aholic

Excellent! A most enjoyable read.
Stockers are under-rated and super fun this time of year.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2016, 4:13 pm 
FFIMer

Hutch:

I was up to the EO in early Nov. It was a long drive to fish for 1/2 day! My version of cast and blast. Was also up there staying at Wilsons in mid Oct. 17th-22nd

Read your trip report and am confused. My understanding (and I sure might have this wrong) is that the regs state that below the markers at Beach Pool is closed after 10/31. What am I missing?

On my season ender trip in Nov. I would have gone right to Y pool but reread the regs and thought that was closed.

My Buddy caught several large salmon ( I got 1) in Oct. In November 1 really nice Salmon at Secret Pool on third cast (PT nymph) then pretty quiet till I decided driving to Newport was probably best done in daylight.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2016, 4:23 pm 
FFIM-aholic

There's an echo around here.... One man's Y Pool is another man's secret.... :D

PostPosted: November 16th, 2016, 5:19 pm 
FFIM Addict

We call different pools y pool. Mine (ours) is above the J pool-and the beach.

Hutch

PostPosted: November 16th, 2016, 5:34 pm 
FFIM Addict

It's not a very detailed map- and I do not necessarily agree with some of the names/locations, but here is a very basic pool map of the EO.

http://mainewoodstourism.org/images_fly ... _Front.pdf

I'm pretty sure Hutch's Y Pool is what I would call Secret, which is labeled as Sluice. What is labeled as Secret, Titleguy would call Staircase. What I'd call Sluice would be the drop below what's labeled as Sluice, near the overlook. Clear as mud? I have no idea which pool Hutch refers to as the J pool.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2016, 8:43 pm 
FFIM Addict

That's the blow up pool outside of Wilson's. Where one practices self-flagellation. But only with a rod of cane and a dry fly.

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: November 16th, 2016, 11:20 pm 
FFIMer

Hutch:
Understand. Every group has their own lingo based on history and memories. Pools names are one example. I personally think the origins or stories behind fly and pool names one of the coolest things about the history of rivers and FF.

Hunter:
Interesting map. I had not seen that. You have to look at it a while to connect it with what you know the river and pools are like.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2016, 8:42 am 
FFIM-aholic

Hutch's J Pool is our Y pool... Sluice is below Secret. Staircase is above secret. Secret is Hutch's Y Pool.

Tomato, tomato.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2016, 11:49 am 
FFIM Addict

Staircase is called Staircase because of.... well the obvious. However Secret is an appropriate name given it's damn tough to discern an actual pool in that area. As far a I'm concerned it's to the left above the big rock but to others it might be straight out towards mid river.

No mention of what we call the spawning pool. Good.

I don't know how you get a J out of Y.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2016, 1:19 pm 
FFIM Addict

dryflie wrote:
I don't know how you get a J out of Y.

It takes a certain amount of dexterity and knowledge of rolling papers. :mrgreen: