FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 23rd, 2018, 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 1st, 2016, 11:25 am 
FFIMer

Well another fishing season has come and gone at the pond. I am left with one impression in particular that stands out.

There are many reasons that people go on fishing trips and they are all legitimate. You may want to rest and relax, you may want to spend quality time with your friends or family, you may enjoy cooking lavish meals or you just might be there to catch fish.

If your reason for going on a fishing trip is to catch fish you might consider making the actual act of going fishing your priority. More important than fly selection, quality of equipment, number of books you have read on how to catch fish and how good of a "game" you talk, getting on the water is the single most important factor to catching fish. If you want to get real fancy, get on the water during the times of the day that are the most productive for catching fish. This may mean early in the morning (we're talking five AM) and staying out after dark.

Many people are of the impression that the only time you can catch fish while fly fishing is when the surface of the water is perfectly calm. If you believe this you are wrong and are severely limiting yourself and your catch. Fish all conditions and learn the idiosyncrasies of all conditions. This is part of the fun of fly fishing. Through the act of going fishing in all possible conditions you will learn tactics of how to fish all conditions.

I have been at this a lot of years and have never seen a fish caught by a sport sitting in camp.

I need to repeat that if your priority for being at camp is other than catching fish that is perfectly alright. If catching fish is not your trip priority be prepared to catch fewer fish.

For those who feel the need to contradict these basic facts I am fully aware that even a monkey falls out of a tree sometimes. I'll put my money on the guy who puts in his time out on the water.