FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 18th, 2018, 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Labrador gear report
PostPosted: September 11th, 2016, 5:10 pm 
FFIM Addict

This was the first time in about 10 years that I have fished exclusively none-cane. I fished an old Orvis Trident TL 8'-6" 5wt. 7pc rod. I over-lined it with a 6wt WF $19 "Premium Flyline-Factory Overruns. This helped slow the rod down to suit me. One ferrule joint loosened up and a guide loosened. I'll send it back to Orvis for repair.
My reel was a Marryat MR-8 that I picked up on Ebay and performed like all my Marryats, exquisitely.

My wading boots were also Simms Rock Creek felt soled boots. Reminded me of a pair of high-topped converse sneakers with clown over-sized soles. Stitching began coming out on bottom of tongue right away. These are on their way back to Simms.

Waders were Redington Sonic-Pro Ultra packable, They weren't breathable so I was fairly well dampened from perspiration, but once I loosened my wading belt I was fine. Held up to many tumbles on my part. One would have thought at times I was practicing for Olympic gymnastics.

My fishing shirt was the SuperBoo fishing shirt. The best fishing shirt bar none I've ever had. All the right pockets, tabs and flaps a person needs. Mine is beginning to show its toll, hopefully we can someday get an order to replace our shirts. Under that I wore a Bean wool base layer shirt. A great combination but it did develop a rather strange odor. Hopefully the folks at Bean can shed some light on this anomaly.

My leader set-up was a Tapered mono butt section I found where I park on the Farmington some slob had thrown out (litter), with Orvis 2&3X Mirage tippet.

My most productive fly was a #6 Rolled-wing Muddler, a pattern I found on a you-tube video that I wish I'd tied more of and in different sizes. Very easy tie and the Brookies loved it. Next was a #4 Orange Muddler. The pike thinned out my old stock of regular and marabou Orange Muddlers. Had one great boiling take by a pike on a Yellow Zoo Cougar, the take was great and then in the fight the pike won by cutting my tippet.

My Kayak was my Old Town 13.9 Adventure propelled by a Foley custom packable paddle that worked great. Operator negligence broke it, but a field fix rendered it very usable.

Tent was an LL Bean single person Microlight UL tent. Very cozy as all single person tents are. But easy to enter and exit with it's side entry door. The night before leaving as I was packing I could not find my other back packing tent. Luckily Bean's is always open.

Air mattress a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Trekker, very comfortable and packable.

Sleeping bag Bean's 35* mummy-style down, I've used on a couple of these Foley Expedition series.

Food was breakfast, lunch and dinner for a day and travel munchies from Emily. The rest of the time I ate granola for breakfast and snacks and dehydrated camping meals. Only one I was totally disappointed with. That was a Curry chicken with rice and vegetables, boring waste of boiling water, time and money. The best was Louisiana Red Beans and rice and the Beef Stroganoff.

Transportation by Foley veggie power and me.

Ron

Sir John Buchan