FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 28th, 2017, 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Law Book
PostPosted: June 30th, 2016, 11:00 pm 
FFIMer

Well, the waters low and the mercury is rising and it shows here looking at the forums. Some good discussion going on.
I want the law book back. Green cover that repels coffee and adult beverages. Black and white laws and regs. Open up your glossy law books boys, the ones with multiple boat insurance advertising. Truck ads to tow your new boat with, ATVs , even attorney's advertise....
I think it begs the question, what is the focus of our fishery in the State of Maine?

Post subject: Re: Law Book
PostPosted: July 1st, 2016, 11:13 am 
FFIMer

To make as much money as possible...

I have been talking on and off with a biologist for a stocked, general law river I frequently fish. I explained that I have been catching wild browns, bows, brookies and salmon there. LLS are not even stocked in the river and BKT are only stocked way up in the headwaters, 12 or 15 miles above where I fish. I asked what the chances of making a section ALO, he basically said there would be huge uproar about putting any regulations on this river. I asked about making the wild BKT c&r only, same thing. He basically said there's about a 1% chance of stricter regulations there. Simply because it would piss off the worm dunkers that go there 7 days a week to take there limit every day. This river is essentially the local grocery store. That in my opinion is not managing the fishery. This place could be something so much more then a stocked put and take river. I wish the focus of IF&W would be the fisheries and wildlife more then the almighty dollar. I get the need to make money to support the department, but theres a lot more managing that could be done.
I could go on and on, but I wont, just my .02 cents...

Peter

PostPosted: July 1st, 2016, 12:45 pm 
FFIM-aholic

You're armed with plenty of data, Peter. Keep at 'em.
The most frustrating thing about that river is that general law restrictions for August 15-September 30 making it alo and c&r are WAIVED, making it truly a local fish market. Ridiculous.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2016, 11:37 pm 
FFIMer

Well i'll drop my quick 2 cents here.

I think that Maine advertises its fisheries as much as possible to bring in revenue while putting as little money back into the fishery as possible for the purpose of net gain.

Most people who come to Maine in the summer come for a"total experience" and many times that does not include fly fishing for wild trout that they intend to release. They often stay at a local camp and will kill a fish or two. The catch and Kill approach has long been part of Maine's reputation and has been advertised as such. One of my uncles used to come up every summer and wanted to catch and kill one fish while he was here to eat. That was it, then he rarely fished after that.

From personal experience I first moved to Maine when I was 7 years old from New Jersey ( New Dirty as my kids call it). I began Brook fishing in Central Maine when I was eight and caught and kept many Brook Trout, most were small. When I was in Eighth Grade I began fly fishing and tying my own flies. I read the Book Fly Fishing Strategies by Doug Swisher and Carl Richards from cover to cover. The last chapter was about conservation of resources and practicing Catch and Release. It changed me forever , and at a young age. When I was in High school the Kennebec Brown Trout fishery took off ( I began driving to Madison Stretch in 1989 for about ten years on a nearly nightly basis for some weeks. I caught and released plenty of big Trout and I cant even tell you the number of my friends parents that thought I was just plain nuts for releasing those fish. Many of them would just shake their heads at me in disbelief. What was common practice in many places for years had yet to catch on in Maine.

IN the last 25 years the number of C and R waters, trophy waters and FFO and ALO restrictions has increased for sure, but its only a fraction of the waters, and as a result many places are probably way below their potential.

some things we could do better??

1. more ALO single hook
2.restrict the killing on wild fish waters
3. Manage Habitat and protect it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4. Many rivers and streams in the central and southern part of the State have serious potential to produce very large holdover fish. We should be doing every thing we can to ensure that those fish can grow and are stocked in adequate numbers to take advantage of the habitat.
5.Stock fish species that are capable of competing with invasives and are suited to the environment. ( Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout)

I feel that many of the biologists have great ideas but their hands are tied for lack of resources or politics or any combination of the above. Management has gotten much better than it was int he past.

( I could add quite a bit more to this list)

Old ways die hard and there are many people who try to kill every fish they can. Also there are many out there that feel that Maines game laws should only apply to them when it is convenient. that also has a significant impact on the top end potential of many fisheries.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2016, 9:44 pm 
FFIMer

Nailed it.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2017, 2:22 pm 
FFIMer

Peter010786 wrote:
To make as much money as possible...

I have been talking on and off with a biologist for a stocked, general law river I frequently fish. I explained that I have been catching wild browns, bows, brookies and salmon there. LLS are not even stocked in the river and BKT are only stocked way up in the headwaters, 12 or 15 miles above where I fish. I asked what the chances of making a section ALO, he basically said there would be huge uproar about putting any regulations on this river. I asked about making the wild BKT c&r only, same thing. He basically said there's about a 1% chance of stricter regulations there. Simply because it would piss off the worm dunkers that go there 7 days a week to take there limit every day. This river is essentially the local grocery store. That in my opinion is not managing the fishery. This place could be something so much more then a stocked put and take river. I wish the focus of IF&W would be the fisheries and wildlife more then the almighty dollar. I get the need to make money to support the department, but theres a lot more managing that could be done.
I could go on and on, but I wont, just my .02 cents...

Peter

I read stuff like this and you hit the nail on the head...they aren't managing the fishery they are appeasing locals who are basically catching limits day after day are using the fishery like a $25 food stamp; they are "takers". It happens in most of the northeast but its rampant up here. Much of the rest of the country is taking a more proactive approach to managing their fisheries. They look at them as an economic attraction even in the south. I've noticed trout fishing has taken off in the hill country of the south because the states started managing them for catch and release about 20 years ago. And low an behold towns like Asheville NC actually are drawing fishermen-its a neat town but its only recently become a fishing town. Up here in the northeast the town of New Hartford CT has basically become the regional destination in the last 30 years since they started taking care of the fishery. If you hit the Farmington on any day in June it will be thick with fishermen...they aren't keeping fish but they are buying gas, food, tackle, and some are patronizing the motels; there are probably more tackle/fly shops in the two or three counties of supporting that river than are left in the entire state of Maine. Maine has a whole slew of problems not of anyone's fault but the state could "TRY" to manage some these places(where it makes sense) a little better. If a river like that can hold up to the pressure you describe; it should be given a shot. The locals will find another place to clean out-they always do. Clearly if you are catching that variety of fish on that river, then it could be improved on. I get very discouraged whenever I hear stuff like that.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2017, 2:39 pm 
FFIMer

THE BIOLOGIST KNOW WHAT IS GOOD FOR THE COLD WATER FISHERIES BUT IT IS BEYOND THEIR CONTROL MOST OFTEN.
POLOTICS KEEP FISH MARKETS IN EFFECT!
VERY SAD INDEED.