FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 17th, 2018, 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Korkers
PostPosted: February 14th, 2016, 9:52 pm 
FFIMer

Who has em? I just picked up a pair at Beans, I blew out my LLB Gray Ghost boots 2 weeks ago lacing up for a little winter fishing. I was poking around the clearance wading boot rack and found these marked down to $129. The fit pretty good and they seem comfortable. How do you guys like them?

Peter

Post subject: Re: Korkers
PostPosted: February 14th, 2016, 10:03 pm 
FFIMer

Just go to SEARCH on this site and enter Korkers and freshwater.
Lots of post.

PostPosted: February 15th, 2016, 10:30 am 
FFIM Addict

Peter.....

I have the Korkers Chromes. Great boots. That sole system must be patented; otherwise why wouldn't every other boot company come out with the same interchangeable system?? I think I have 5 different soles for mine (felt; studded felt; sticky (it ain't) rubber; studded rubber; and the large bars (best of the lot, IMO).

I've been a Simms boot guy since the demise of my studded felt Danners two decades ago......but as I fish muck (Spring Creeks) sand bottoms (Yellowstone Park); bhowling ball rocks; drift boats...and others.....those interchangeable soles are the proverbial "cat's ass".

One thing I would stay away from, however, is those $#^%*&^ boa laces. I abhor those things with a passion. There is no way I can get them cranked down as tight as I'd like them. My next Korkers will definitely have laces. As (I think) Reardon haws said "Laces have been around for 200 years......there must be a good reason for that (or words to that effect).

Dave M

PostPosted: February 15th, 2016, 10:45 am 
FFIM Addict

I got them and so far they are great (couple of seasons). I have the lace up type simply because the BOA type wasn't available in the boot I wanted. Comfortable and the changeable soles work great.

PostPosted: February 15th, 2016, 12:01 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Have had mine for a couple seasons and love them. 2 sets of soles; sticky with studs and sticky. As Dave said - sticky just isn't sticky enough at 53 yrs. old (23 maybe, 53 not so much). Use the sticky for boats, studs for everything else.

PostPosted: February 15th, 2016, 12:21 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I'm on my 2nd pair of Korkers Boxcar Wading Shoes and have a new pair in a box in the closet for when the current pair are ready for retirement. I may be odd, but I prefer low boots instead of high boots because I can feel the terrain better with low boots as my ankle gives instant feedback and I feel I can better balance myself with some ankle flexibility. I do have very flexible ankles, so I'm sure this has something to do with it.

Only downside is they collect a bit more gravel than higher boots as the gravel guard tends to slip up at times.

I like the versatility of also wearing these when wet wading when the weather's a bit warmer too.

http://www.fishwest.com/p/korkers-boxca ... gQodN1QJQQ

PostPosted: February 15th, 2016, 2:25 pm 
FFIMer

Had Korkers, they were, meh. Nothing I was too impressed with. They disintegrated after a few years of fishing. Frankly I felt the sole-switching feature is gimicky and silly. The rubber strap in the back broke off and I lost a sole on the river. Try wading without a sole on the boot - I almost tanked that day.

Bought Simms G3 boots. Loved them. When they finally wore out, I got 2 new pairs, one felt, one lug sole. I will always buy Simms from now on.

PostPosted: February 15th, 2016, 4:11 pm 
FFIMer

Peter I got mine at the beginning of last season. I wore the stud soles all last year and they worked great for me. Boots are comfortable but give me good support. Will probably replace my stud soles this year as they got a workout last year. Good to see you at Gray Ghosts.

PostPosted: February 15th, 2016, 4:31 pm 
FFIM Addict

Just got back from Beans...got another pair of (lace up) Korkers (Buckskin) Had over $150 in gift cards...and they were on sale. Score!!

My Simms (Rivertreads??) are still great boots...and I have the studs AND star cleats on them....but they'd tear the #### out of drift-boat floors.....so I now only wear them in places like the East Outlet; Bingham; Shawmut, etc where there are greased bowling ball rocks.

Dave M

PostPosted: February 15th, 2016, 5:03 pm 
FFIMer

Quote:
Just got back from Beans...got another pair of (lace up) Korkers (Buckskin) Had over $150 in gift cards...and they were on sale. Score!!

Those are the same ones I got, thought there we a good price. I was looking at the LLB boots wit the BOAs, on the other side of the rack the Korkers were on. Thought about trying a pair because they were on sale and figured Id just return them if I didn't like them. But once I saw the Korkers that was all over. This is my first piece of non-LLB equipment, and I had My eye these as my next pair.

Peter