FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently May 25th, 2020, 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mid-Coast Saturday
PostPosted: December 27th, 2015, 1:03 pm 
FFIM Addict

Finally made it out to fish locally yesterday afternoon. Drove by numerous spots on the Medomak first and they were all on the near "extreme" side of high. One spot in Winslows Mills looked like a nice soft water stretch but I remembered the series of braids with lots of tail grasses and an occasional bush which would have spelled hang-ups.
Decided then to check the St. George. Don't know why I figured there would be less water there. Sure enough the rock ramp out of Sennebec was obliterated and was the start of a short but fast rip. One older gentleman was just heading down to the water and very pleased to be able to be out casting a fly without worry of iced guides on Dec. 26th.
I tried a few swings with a streamer along the rip and some soft water below the ramp then moved downstream to a sunny patch.
A group of a father and his two sons were fishing a fairly sizable slack section. They commented they had catches by all three. As they worked upstream I followed to see if they missed any. Starting out working a streamer then I switched to a nymph rig. Many temp hook-ups on the rocky bottom finally lead to a brown taking a #20 PT beadhead nymph. The surprising thing was how warm the water felt and with that the fish were responding.
As I walked back to the car I watched as one of the fishers worked a run. He had a fish rise to his indicator once and I watched one swirl under the indicator.
A great few hours astream in late December. With conditions like these hard to make excuses for not wetting a line before the ball drops.

Sir John Buchan