FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently May 25th, 2020, 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 5th, 2015, 8:25 pm 
FFIM Addict

The weather Saturday had Tiny BWO written all over. A light misty rain turning to a drizzle with temps in the upper 40's and a gusty brisk wind. Reminded me of a few trips to Lab in late August. I hadn't read Dave M's reply about the parachute BWO's but had plenty of other offerings. By early afternoon Olives could be seen starting to show and by 2PM the water was covered with them. I had been fishing a Para-pheasant tail emeger with a bead head PT nymph dropper, which I swapped out for a RS2 modified with Hares foot instead of duck butt. A few drifts later and the RS2 Mod. is slammed and after about half a run my tippet parted which was probably from a wind knot. After that with the water still covered with Olives, lumbering crash and fly Isonichias started appearing and that commotion brought the fish up. They were looking for dinner not petite hors d'eouvres.
I was able to land one nice 18"+ hook jaw brown. Had another hook-up that hooked me on a rock and took off with my line at a right angle to me. After the imaginable he launched himself clear of the water 4 times just to rub it in.
Sunday had more wind but thin overcast to clear. About 25% of the number of olives and Iso's and very little activity. Managed a couple of small browns.
At least the water is up slightly and the temps dropped 15* to 55 in a week to help the fish.

Ron

Sir John Buchan