FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 21st, 2017, 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 14th, 2015, 12:15 pm 
FFIMer

On my recent trip to Alaska, I was asked by several of the guides who I thought was the first Lady of Fly Fishing... I knew it was Carrie Stevens, but struggled to remember her name... In doing my research to recall, I realized that August 15, 1970 was Carrie Stevens day.. So as such, I wanted to share this on FFIM today since I will likely not be on my computer tomorrow...

Carrie Gertrude Stevens (1882-1970) was an American fly fisher and fly lure tier from Madison and Upper Dam, Maine, and the creator of Rangeley Favorite trout and salmon flies. Self-taught in the art of fly tying, Stevens invented the Grey Ghost Streamer, an imitation of the Smelt, Osmerus mordax. Stevens' flies received national and international acclaim, and she was honored after her death with the naming of August 15, 1970 as "Carrie Gertrude Stevens Day" by the Governor of Maine.

Have an awesome day!

- ZG -

PostPosted: August 14th, 2017, 5:26 pm 
FFIMer

Bump!

PostPosted: August 15th, 2017, 12:47 am 
FFIM-aholic

In Sweden a guy who has never heard of the state of Maine, but was quick to suggest a Parmancheennee Belle for the artic char we were fishing for. Though not a Stevens fly, it is regionally relevant and he was fond of my featherwings in her style. Certainly her influence transcends her geographical footprint.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: August 18th, 2017, 8:31 pm 
FFIMer

Between Carrie Stevens and Fly Rod Crosby, Maine can claim two of the great fly fishing people ever. Now if Joan Wulff was only from Maine we could claim a clean sweep. On our webpage NPFG.ORG the Norway-Paris Fish and Game Assn has an internet encyclopedia, with famous women from Maine, and they are both honored. As the web master, I was honored to place them there.