FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 16th, 2018, 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How old is the oldest...
PostPosted: February 24th, 2015, 8:04 pm 

...Maine Atlas and Gazetteer that you own? Recent discussion of map vs. GPS navigation got me thinking about this and it’s not as trivial a question as it might seem – as anyone who owns a few of these knows, a “time-lapse” series of MAGs tells a very interesting story of Maine geography – the oldest one I own is from 1984 – it’s the one I used when I was a field tech for a UMO geology professor – that was the best job I ever had – I found fishing spots that summer that are some of my favorites to this day! When I look at that MAG today and compare it to recent editions, I am amazed by how many more roads there are now – in fact, there are so many out there now that a new MAG is often useless in figuring them out by itself – there are even more place names and named physical features – and then there are all the notes scribbled on all the pages – old/retired MAGS make for some fun winter reading…coincidentally, my professor from that summer, Ed Decker, just passed away a few weeks ago – he was a true, old-school classic…(RIP to Leslie Gore too…)

As a follow-up question, what is the oldest piece of fishing gear that you still use? I break, lose & wear out my stuff so fast that most of it doesn’t have a chance to get old, so aside from that old 1984 MAG, my oldest piece of gear is an Orvis Madison reel I picked up in 1992 or so – it’s the reel that I fish on my bamboo rods, when I have one that isn’t in splinters… Tight Lines & Think Spring!

PostPosted: February 24th, 2015, 8:25 pm 

I mostly wear out Delorme's before they get old. My laminated one has lasted longer--maybe since 2005? In addition to the road density increase that Brian describes, at some point Delorme abandoned the old hand drawn maps and replaced them with a computer-based map. The also changed the graphics a lot. The combination resulted in a much less useful product, especially for those of us who like to fish. We lost lake elevation data; many streams no longer show; those that do are much less accurate; and they are harder to see against a darker background than the good old days when the base map was white.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2015, 8:26 pm 

Oldest fishing gear--a 4 piece glass pack rod--8' 5/6--that I got freshman year of high school, for Christmas.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2015, 8:55 pm 
FFIM Addict

My oldest Bluebook dates to around 1984 as well. While I don't use them as much anymore, I did think ahead when the new maps emerged and bought up a few of the old style. They've tried to cram so much onto the new maps that I know of at least one town where they rerouted a river around town because it wouldn't fit on the map where it actually is. I probably won't by another DeLorme for Maine, but still think they've got a niche when traveling out of state.

Oldest fishing gear- geeze- that's a tough one. Probably a 1950s era Pop Moore built Grand Laker that my father bought from a guy he camped next to at Allagash Falls in the early '70s. The Laker had been sitting upside down under a shed roof, without seeing river or lake water for 20 years prior, and needed quite a bit of work. Fast forward a few years- my first trip to Eagle Lake circa 1982 or '83 was via this Laker. But I suppose it's not strictly fishing gear. More than a few moose, deer, bear, and waterfowl have found a ride in it too over the years.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2015, 9:32 pm 
FFIM Addict

Oldest rod is a 7 1/2 ' 6 wt Phillipson glass that I built myself in 74.

Oldest reel (I think) is a Hardy LRH that I got at Beans in 88 (or so) when my Marryat MR-8 crapped the bed on a 13 day trip to the West Branch.

Dave M

PostPosted: February 24th, 2015, 10:29 pm 
FFIMer

I have the Great Grand Daddy, Stanley Bearce Atwood's " The Length and Breadth of Maine".

1968-72?? Fenwick FF 84 8'6" 5wt.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2015, 10:57 pm 
FFIMer

My MAG, I believe, is from right around 2002 when I got my drivers license, the only one I have ever had. I have wanted to get a new one, but like you guys said, its so packed full of writing you cant see much. And yes mines also full of scribbles and marks. My oldest piece of gear is a Pfluger Medalist, given to me by a friend, I use it as a trolling reel. Other then that everything I have is 4 to 5 years old at the most, when I started fly fishing.

Peter

PostPosted: February 25th, 2015, 12:10 am 
FFIM Addict

I like this thread. I think my oldest MAG in my immediate possession is from about 2000 and it looks like it -- I had one from about '95 that might be at my folks' house that had a lot more good scribbles in it, i.e. nebulous directions to various spring holes and such -- almost none of which panned out. But I should look for my late grandfather's one -- his was from sometime in the '70s, might've been one of the first ones they made, I think, and was in impressively good shape the last time I saw it. It was cool and old in the '90s -- he was showing me spots he'd been in Northern Maine before I was alive, etc.

My oldest piece of equipment was an old glass rod my grandfather had given me that I busted up stringing it up stupidly on the WB a long time ago -- it might have been the same day I fished LE for the first or second time and fell in -- I was in high school still, I think, and I have this vague memory of standing up above the river, soaking wet, fishless, and then breaking the rod because I wasn't being patient in stringing it up. The rod was cool, something like 6' 9", unmarked -- probably made by an old friend of his who liked to build rods, probably a 4wt or 5wt, slooooowwww and now splintered to bits. Man I wish I still had that rod. I'm really hard on gear. I bet some of my oldest gear at this point are flies from when I first started fly fishing that I never got rid of. I might even have the first fly I tied that caught a trout -- 4th Roach, GRHE, about 1995. There's a lot of good memories back there.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2015, 7:26 am 
FFIMer

My "Book Of Secrets" is the 2000 DeLorme Maine Atlas complete with notes and tips. It's priceless. (for my eyes only.) My reel is a Pflueger sal-trout model 1555 solid brass made between 1916 and 1941 filled with silk line. Rare as hens teeth and works as new. Rod is a Orvis 70s era Battenkill. Bamboo.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2015, 7:40 am 
FFIMer

Oldest delorme...2009.
Oldest fishing gear....Grandfather's bamboo that Sante said was built around 1916. That was my "go to" rod last year.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2015, 8:09 am 
FFIMer

Oldest piece of fishing gear I still use: my first fly rod, purchased at what was then called "Fletcher's Fly Shop" in Rangeley Maine, 1958. Now called Rangeley Region Sports Shop.

Made of fiberglass, no weight noted on it, but 8' and I guess four or five weight. Very light and extremely flexible. Doesn't cast too far, but for an 11 year old back then, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. As I recall, paid around ten dollars for the rod, reel, line and backing.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2015, 8:47 am 
FFIMer

Oldest MAG 1984

Oldest gear that wasn't a hand me down is my orvis graphite Trout II I built in 1973, my first decent fly rod. I have old medalist reels that were given to me by my Dad. Of course cane, 1929 would be the oldest. I have an old telescopic metal rod and reel I used worm fishing back in the 60's. I don't know when it was made. I love old stuff, maybe because I'm getting to be an old stuff. :D

PostPosted: February 25th, 2015, 9:27 am 
FFIMer

Just remembered I have my uncles 70s era fiberglass rod, its just a cheap kmart special and I have never fished it, maybe I will this year just to try it out. I also have an old LLBean rod... its a 7.5 foot 4/5 wt, only says LLBEAN on it. It is a graphite rod,my dad got it years ago, who knows how old it is. It is a nice slow rod and fish put a nice big bend in it. Probably my favorite rod.

Peter

PostPosted: February 25th, 2015, 10:36 am 
FFIMer

My two uncles Ellis and Alton Bell, were huge into Denneys river, way back, I have early steal rods an early Ted Wiiiams, and a Maine atlas I think is dated 1935 or 46, Leesa and I are arguing about it. It is red and way bigger than today. It has town buildings churches census, topo , very cool. Ellis and Alton Bell.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2015, 3:15 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Mine would be Don Lynch who is something like 90...oh, sorry, you said equipment...mine would be the first reel my dad gave me when I was 12...so 40 years.

Ken