It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thursday Reviews
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:42 am 
FFIM-aholic

I started posting Thursday Review's this week and this first one of the off season deals with regular books and ebooks - if you're interested the link is at:
http://flyfishingonly.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6314

Post subject: Re: Thursday Reviews
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:49 pm 
FFIMer

Mike -

My neighbor gave a hard copy of Mary Orvis Marbury's book several years ago. It's an interesting book - worth the free download (follow Mike's link).

My favorite passage is a lengthy letter by "Tamarack" (p. 447 in my reprinted edition.) Worth the read.

Post subject: Re: Thursday Reviews
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:10 am 
FFIM-aholic

Moz,
That's quite a letter from our friend Tamarack.

For those of you who don't have this book "Tamarack" is a guy who with wife and friends in October 1887 marched overland from Corinne, Utah to Missoula, Montana - 600 miles - taking 41 days to do so. Five of those days spent snow bound in a mountain pass with minus 20 degree temps.

Tough going.

But they made it to Missoula and he wanted to fish when he got there. He made a rod Foley would have been proud of - he used an 18' long tamarack (with which he made 50' casts),

He later built a number of fly rods out of native wood and forsook a bamboo rod he ordered from the east because it wouldn't accept his "nail keg" sized reel and was too light. Here's a quote from his talking about the "fly rods" he made for others and his disdain for those who seek light rods and wear "kid gloves."

"Kid glove and 4 1/2 oz. ryestraw anglers I am not writing for, neither do I want them to agree with me. When a man is so effeminate as to use such light rods, and then worry the rod-maker for something lighter, he had better stay at home. The trout stream is unhealthy for him."

His lightest rods were built with hickory or pecan (which didn't warp as bad as hickory). Those rods weighed 12 ounces and were 10 1/2' long. :shock: yeah, lightweight :?