It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OT : deer hunters - will trade for hides
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:57 am 
FFIMer

I know that lots of hunters either throw away the hide, let the processor keep it, or chunk it up and give it away as fly tying material, but those aren't always the best uses for it.

If you shoot a deer and aren't going to do anything with the hide, I'll take it off of your hands and in exchange, I will tan it and you make you something in fair trade out of it. Something along the lines of a pair of moccasins, satchel or bag of some sort, or if you'd like, maybe just some nice, long pieces of tanned leather laces/strips for use in other crafts. (you woodworkers can cane your canoe seats with strips of hide - the rest of you can use it as rugged boot laces.)

In short, I can try'n make just about anything you'd like out of the hide itself or we could work something else out(flies, duck feathers[I have a few nice drake woodie skins] birch or pine gathering baskets, etc), but considering the amount of work that goes into tanning and smoking a hide, I'd plan on keeping a most of it for personal use.

Hope you've all had a good fall season. The brookies sure are dressed up nicely!

PM me with any interest (or nag Soule or Reardon for my cell number :mrgreen: :wink: )

SRD

Post subject: Re: OT : deer hunters - will trade for hides
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:57 pm 

Sam:

Have you checked with butchers who process deer and moose to see if any of them might give you some hides or sell them at low cost?

Ballards in Manchester handles a lot of critters every fall.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:26 pm 
FFIM Addict

Sweet, good to know. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:53 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dang- wish I had known, ....have a friend who hunts the Bow season in a over populated area..and has tagged 3 so far. (One at HUGE Buck)....did nothing w/ the skins.... left them at the cutters.

Hutch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:10 am 
FFIMer

Here are a few shots of my pack basket(felled the tree, pounded/stripped the weavers, shaped without a form, the whole nine yards) and a pine bark gathering basket with fiddlehead. I've given away most of my birch baskets but I just sent out and email asking for a few pictures.

When I get home, I'll take some pictures of my knife, spoons, and other things and get them up here.

Hutch -

Darn! I wish I had thought of it earlier, too. If he gets any more.... Maybe we can make something happen. :wink:

Jeff -

I've got a phone call into them. I'm waiting for a response. Rumor has it they'll sell hides for very little $$$.

Attachments:
IMG_20130406_093542.jpg
IMG_20130406_093542.jpg [ 569.04 KiB | Viewed 1279 times ]
tumblr_mtlmuyIXaP1r9oewwo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_mtlmuyIXaP1r9oewwo2_1280.jpg [ 271.57 KiB | Viewed 1284 times ]
DSC_0096 2.JPG
DSC_0096 2.JPG [ 2.89 MiB | Viewed 1284 times ]

Last edited by sam on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:13 am 
FFIMer

Attachments:
backwatermorning.png
backwatermorning.png [ 992.18 KiB | Viewed 1283 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:25 am 
FFIM Addict

Sam- PM sent.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:38 am 
FFIMer

Wish I had known earlier....tagged 2 during expanded bow season. Did nothing with the hides.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:01 pm 
FFIMer

Hunter - PM returned

Quimby - That's my bad. I should've thought of it before bow season started. Just more of a reason for you a shoot a few more next year, I suppose. :wink:

SRD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:04 am 
FFIMer

Next Year??? I still have 2 more tags this year. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:16 am 
FFIMer

Even better! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:09 am 
FFIMer

Sam, my wife and I always cut up our families' deer; and I have not saved a single hide, since I used to take them to the now closed White Fawn company in Auburn many years ago.
Back then, if we gave them a hide and payed a certain amount of money, White Fawn would make deer skin gloves for us.

If anyone in my family harvests a deer again this year, I will gladly just give you the skin. Recycling is definitely better than simply throwing the hides out.

How do you like deer hides preserved until you can get them...just folded in a plastic bag outdoors...salted...frozen...or what?

Also, just wondering...do you use moose hides, too?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:02 am 
FFIMer

Wood Special wrote:
Sam, my wife and I always cut up our families' deer; and I have not saved a single hide, since I used to take them to the now closed White Fawn company in Auburn many years ago.
Back then, if we gave them a hide and payed a certain amount of money, White Fawn would make deer skin gloves for us.

If anyone in my family harvests a deer again this year, I will gladly just give you the skin. Recycling is definitely better than simply throwing the hides out.

How do you like deer hides preserved until you can get them...just folded in a plastic bag outdoors...salted...frozen...or what?

I've been told about companies that used to do that. It'd be neat if some company out there still did that. It sure would keep a lot of useful material from going to waste. I imagine LL Bean could do pretty well marketing Bean Boots with uppers/laces made from Maine hides....

That would be much appreciated. Frozen would be be best, but if freezer room is a problem, fleshed, salted, and hung to dry into rawhide is a close second.

Yes, moose hide would be GREAT. I'd use it for mukluks.

Where are you located?

Thanks,
SRD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:08 pm 
FFIMer

sam wrote:
Wood Special wrote:

I've been told about companies that used to do that. It'd be neat if some company out there still did that. It sure would keep a lot of useful material from going to waste. I imagine LL Bean could do pretty well marketing Bean Boots with uppers/laces made from Maine hides....

That would be much appreciated. Frozen would be be best, but if freezer room is a problem, fleshed, salted, and hung to dry into rawhide is a close second.

Yes, moose hide would be GREAT. I'd use it for mukluks.

Where are you located?

Thanks,
SRD

Sam, sorry no moose hides right now...wife, son (twice), brother, brother-in-law, nephews, and I have been lucky enough to have gotten some huge bulls in the past; but all those hides were thrown away.
However, I have a nephew who has a cow permit for the November hunt; if he gets it, I'll try to get the hide for you. In the meantime, as Jeff said, you should check with meat cutters who process
moose to see what they do with the hides; for example, here in Central Maine I know there are moose processors in Monmouth, Manchester, West Gardiner, Sabattus, etc.
Also, the Inland Fisheries and Wildlife, always did have a list of moose processors in their moose hunting information section. It really is great to see someone like you, who is trying to recycle what many of us
have been discarding for years...good luck to you in your quest!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:23 pm 
FFIMer

Wood Special -

That'd be great and much appreciated.

I'll put a few more emails and phone calls into processors. Soon, I'll be drowning in hides. (hopefully) :lol:

SRD