FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently May 25th, 2020, 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: High water temps
PostPosted: July 8th, 2013, 10:13 pm 
FFIM Addict

Ran up to the Sheepscott today just below the hatchery. My thought was that the cold water coming out of the hatchery would cool the river below the outflow. The water temp next to the picnic pavilion was 80*. This is a little more than 100' below the outflow. I wandered below the overpass a couple hundred feet and retook the temp, 78*.
I did have a nice chat with an aquatic bug person from the DEP that had just put some bug traps out to study the critters residing in the river below the hatchery. Asked about hatches and fish sign(before seeing temps). He didn't offer much, then found out he's not a fisherman.
Got a quick tour of the rearing station from the operator. Very nice young man. We talked water temps. He was upset that he can't get his water temp as high as he'd like. He said the water through the troughs was running 55-56* or so. He would like 62 for optimal growth rates. Unfortunately the river is running way high and he's running too cool. His 16" intake is drawing somewhat warmer water and is at full capacity. He's supplementing that with extra flow from a 24" pipe that draws from about 50' deep and has the colder water.
He netted a couple of browns that were probably 22-24". Now I know the pool tim s fishes in the spring.
Saw some of the biggest rock warm larvae I've ever seen on the underside of some rocks I look at.
All very interesting.

Ron

Sir John Buchan