FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently February 17th, 2019, 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2003, 1:50 pm 
FFIMer

Like other posters, I'm beginning to wonder if this thread can hit the magic number 100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2003, 2:41 pm 
FFIMer

Ken, <BR> Here is my contribution toward 100. <BR> <BR>Dave M, <BR> For some reason, which I have yet to descry, the only alternative to C&R in many minds is complete kill. This is far from the case. Traditionally, anglers would return (read "release") those trout below a certain length limit, and/or those fish too large for the frying pan. Sort of an unrecognized "slot limit" system. Today, there are far more methods the state has to regulate the taking of wild trout --- its not just C&R or nothing. Please read <!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href="http://sites.state.pa.us/Fish/trman98.htm#A.%20WILD%20TROUT%20SUBPROGRAM%20IN" target="_blank">http://sites.state.pa.us/Fish/trman98.htm#A.%20WILD%20TROUT%20SUBPROGRAM%20IN</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end --> <BR>you'll find that most of the methods shown were equally effective with C&R, yet they permitted a "taking" of 2-8 fish. <BR> <BR>Ken, <BR> Its possible that the river that you mentioned would have faired as well with Selective Harvest or some other practice as with C&R. Often it is not the fisheries biologists that propose the move to C&R for a stream section, but the financial interests (guiding services, fly shops, etc.) who believe that they can profit from constantly re-cycled fish . <BR> <BR>Best regards, <BR>Reed <BR><!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href="http://www.overmywaders.com" target="_blank">www.overmywaders.com</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end --> <BR>

The Contemplative Angler (Blog)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2003, 2:58 pm 
FFIM Addict

In 'The Founding Fish' John McPhee deals with the different philosophical approaches to fishing in the last chapter. It's interesting to note how other countries do not believe in a C&R system but rather enforce a catch and kill approach. I'm not advocating that approach, but it is worth reading. I thought it was an interesting way of relating C&R back to capitalism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2003, 3:45 pm 
FFIMer

Do any of you guys work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2003, 4:32 pm 
FFIMer

Ditto on that question, Garrett. Don't take this the wrong way because I certainly appreciate the vast knowledge that is contributed to this board, but some of you folks are pretty long-winded!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2003, 5:49 pm 

Reed: <BR> <BR>Research in Maine shows that even with the most restrictive harvest limits, on BROOK TROUT waters, the proportion of older fish (age 4+) is reduced. That's data from ponds, with 1 fish or 2 fish per day limits. <BR> <BR>Basically, if you want to grow trophy brook trout in a pond, you have to either go to C+R or have an extremely high length limit that amounts to the same thing. <BR> <BR>Even 16 inches will not protect the older age clases in many waters. <BR> <BR>Jeff <BR> <BR>

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2003, 6:04 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

The good part of this whole thread is knowing that we all care in our own way. That is what counts the most. Good Fishing. The OldGuide

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2003, 6:33 pm 
FFIMer

Did I make 100??

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2003, 10:15 pm 
FFIMer

cap, <BR> I liked your recent message. It is reminiscent of an article by Howard Walden written in 1938. See <!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href="http://www.overmywaders.com/extracts/sportsmanship.html" target="_blank">http://www.overmywaders.com/extracts/sportsmanship.html</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end --> <BR> <BR>Best regards, <BR>Reed <BR><!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href="http://www.overmywaders.com" target="_blank">www.overmywaders.com</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end --> <BR>

The Contemplative Angler (Blog)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2003, 1:06 pm 
FFIMer

At first, cap, this post may seem like a wise-arse response, but it isn't. <BR> <BR>Here's what your story made me think: The Zen master did not want people to view him as a nutcase for sitting around in nature, watching the natural world unfold, so he pretended to fish to hide the fact. <BR> <BR>Your Zen story reminds me of a bowhunter friend. He said he loves to sit with his bow in a tree, watching critters go about their business, unaware a camo-clad human is watching. The bow makes him legitimate. He said he would feel odd if he were sitting in a tree without a bow and someone came along and spotted him. <BR> <BR>I do not feel above my friend or the Zen master, either, because I am a serious amateur naturalist, ornithologist and geologist. Those are my excuses for loafing hours at a time in a forest.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next