It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SuperBoo X : Official announcement
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:43 am 
FFIM-aholic

It's that time of year....

Lawrence Junior High is honored to partner with the FlyfishinginMaine.org community by hosting the tenth ffim mid-winter conclave, SuperBoo X.

This year, the facility is available on February 3th, Sunday, the day OF the SuperBowl.

Doors will open at 8 am, and festivities will conclude roughly around 2pm... give or take, grin.

AGAIN THIS YEAR: rods will be color coded on racks by line weight instead of rod length.

Anyone and everyone who is interested in casting cane rods or just casting tales is welcome. Admission is, as always, free. You do not have to bring bamboo to take part, but any and all split cane rods are welcome; the generosity of anglers in sharing their cane is what makes this such a great event.

Lawrence Junior High is located just off the freeway in Fairfield, exit 132 (map below)

We'll post more details as they emerge, and a t-shirt (or whatever) thread.

Much of SBX will be the same as in year's past>>>>

The gym will be for the bamboo rods and things related, like collectors with informative displays.
The event is free, but we will ask again for a sign-in at the door with a contact phone # or email, just in case you lose something, win something, or that kind of thing. No one else gets this info, btw.

Door prizes!! For those who sign in (everyone), we'll draw names for neat prizes!

In the gym, there will be rod racks and posters for those allowing their rods to be cast (the more the merrierl). Color coded lobster bands will again be available by line weight, and match the posters, so you can compare all the 5-wt rods, say, and then check to see the taper and maker. Rod owners - just pick up an appropriately colored band for your grip (I write my name on the lobster band, too).

The floor will be marked off with cones for casting lanes. Casters will enter from the far side of the gym and walk up the vacant lane to the centerline to cast... to save the rods with those lines whipping around, no one will enter or exit along the center line. This seems to work pretty well.

Many rodmakers will be wandering about - feel free to ask questions.

Feel free to bring in rods for appraisal and repair advice.

In the lobby,

there will be a LJHS table for picking up your pre-ordered t-shirt (or whatever).

Slide presentations or talks will be in the lobby or library.

There will be a place to post your cards or flyers of For Sale items.
NOTE: THIS IS A NON-COMMERCIAL EVENT (private, incidental sales are okay)

There will be tables for swap items and free food donations (the kids will not sell food this year).

At least, that's the plan!!!

Kat (and Hutch and David)
a few more thoughts from Hutch:

Little odds and ends-

Dress semi-warm.

You will be on a gym floor- so soft shoes would be good- I wear my old Bean boots mostly.

Please remember- you need not BUY/ sell- anything! If you want to come- we want you there...casting is up to you- but fish stories are mandatory.

Also- the "Free " table is just that- free...take what you can use. Or drop off what is no longer useful to you and yours.

If you have a rod- but no reel. there may well be reels to borrow.

As always, care with the rod in your hand is important...but Bamboo is very strong- so if we try to avoid the "Hero" casts, we will all do well- this works until you get Sante's Kushner, which I believe is a cannon, and may actually leave dents in the wall.

Cameras welcome---unless KimL is around. ( I have found the best defense against Kim is pictures OF Kim...)

Care for your own children...(unless you are my Dad...then just bring money!)

Attachments:
Screen shot 2012-12-13 at 7.34.18 AM.png
Screen shot 2012-12-13 at 7.34.18 AM.png [ 76.72 KiB | Viewed 1673 times ]

Post subject: Re: SuperBoo X : Official announcement
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:07 pm 
FFIMer

Wish I could be there. If you get to cast any Crockers this is a picture of K.C. Crocker and family that his great grandaughter was kind enough to send me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:41 am 
FFIM-aholic

One of these years, Andre!

Neat pic.

Kat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:55 am 
FFIMer

Andre, great picture! and thanks for sharing it--can you repost it in the Crocker thread, which I've bumped up?

Many thanks--
bb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:34 pm 
FFIMer

I'm home and exhausted and as has been the case in the past it will take several days to digest all that transpired. Thank you to everyone who stopped at the table Fred Kretchman and I shared it was my pleasure speaking to each and every one of you and for those who had questions I hope I answered them for you and if something pops up just contact me.

Special thanks for ffim, Kathy, David, Hutch, Barbara and all that made this yet another success on the 10th anniversary of this timely break to winter.

Kathy, as promised here are the photos I just took of the Nord Catalog.....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:10 am 
FFIM-aholic

Banjo - how cool is that?!!!

Everyone - this is the kind of thing that makes SuperBoo even more fun.
I'd just written an article on a very obscure rodmakers for Powerfibers,
and Banjo just picked up a pamphlet by the guy. Neat connecting this weekend:

http://www.powerfibers.com/html/current_issue.html

Will post more SuperBoo thoughts and photos as soon as the dust settles. Wonderful time,

Kat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:57 pm 
FFIMer

Banjo Thanks so much for posting the info on Nord for all to enjoy. It compliments Kathy's recent fine article in Power Fibers and demonstrates Crompton's influence on Nord and other rod builders. Particularly interesting discussions on convex taper design, construction techniques, and penta rods.

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:50 am 
FFIMer

Those were taken rather hastily and nothing more than quick snaps I plan on redoing them in a more professional manner using better lighting conditions to enable folks to read them more easily and to download them for printing purposes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:17 pm 
FFIMer

Careful buster or we'll have to start calling you googlebanjo.
Ben