It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Felt Bottom Wading Boots... Legal?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:15 am 
Offline
FFIMer

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:22 pm
Posts: 2
Does anyone know if the proposed law to ban felt bottom wading boots has been implemented yet? If it has, does anyone know the fine for said discretion? I have witnessed plenty of people (including me) still wearing them and would rather spend the money on some new boots than a fine. Not to mention keeping my home waters clear.... I fish pretty much North and West of Dover-Foxcroft but am not aware of any invasive plants or algae in any of the waters up this way. Any knowledge on this appreciated as I havn't been able to find anything in the law book about it... (On a side note, aren't we getting fancy with those color pictures and advertisements in there? Feels like Maine's been propelled into the 1990's) :) :) :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Felt Bottom Wading Boots... Legal?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:00 pm 
Offline
FFIM Addict

Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2001 1:00 am
Posts: 2970
Location: T3R11
I gave up felt 10+ years ago but as best I know Maine has not yet banned its use.

_________________
It's not the fly...you just suck.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Felt Bottom Wading Boots... Legal?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:31 pm 
Offline
FFIMer

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 663
Location: Old Orchard Beach
http://www.stopans.org/Felt_Bans.htm

All that our esteemed legislature has done, surely with the very vocal support from us master fly fishing stewards of the rivers, is to order the DIFW to "look" at the issue.

What a brave way to think about a known solution to a known bad problem....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Felt Bottom Wading Boots... Legal?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:39 pm 
Offline
FFIMer

Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:34 pm
Posts: 163
Ok, ban felt. What next, boot laces,wet wading, anchor ropes? The only thing that will work 100% is to close contaminated waters to fishing. Traveling anglers should know better than to even risk fishing a didymo water. If they do risk it it is up to them to sterilized their gear( note I said gear, not felt ). Felt isn't the problem, its ignorance. What's the saying? If guns are killing people, then pencils are misspelling words. Another favorite, once we make everything idiot proof, we are just creating more idiots.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Felt Bottom Wading Boots... Legal?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:22 pm 
Offline
FFIMer

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 663
Location: Old Orchard Beach
Educate all you want, but relying solely on education and the ability of people to learn and retain said info will not work. You need to regulate out known vectors of transportation and felt soles are the greatest culprit at transporting rock snot. Honestly, do you think a trout stream sees more felt boots or canoe anchor ropes?

FYI the mentality that since regulating felts is not going to be 100% effective so we shouldn't do it, is not helpful to preventing rock snot's spread. Educate and Regulate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Felt Bottom Wading Boots... Legal?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:38 pm 
Offline
FFIMer

Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 2:52 pm
Posts: 133
Location: STANDISH
Nate O wrote:
Ok, ban felt. What next, boot laces,wet wading, anchor ropes? The only thing that will work 100% is to close contaminated waters to fishing. Traveling anglers should know better than to even risk fishing a didymo water. If they do risk it it is up to them to sterilized their gear( note I said gear, not felt ). Felt isn't the problem, its ignorance. What's the saying? If guns are killing people, then pencils are misspelling words. Another favorite, once we make everything idiot proof, we are just creating more idiots.


X2....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Felt Bottom Wading Boots... Legal?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:46 pm 
Offline
FFIMer

Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:34 pm
Posts: 163
AusableWulff wrote:
Educate all you want, but relying solely on education and the ability of people to learn and retain said info will not work. You need to regulate out known vectors of transportation and felt soles are the greatest culprit at transporting rock snot. Honestly, do you think a trout stream sees more felt boots or canoe anchor ropes?

FYI the mentality that since regulating felts is not going to be 100% effective so we shouldn't do it, is not helpful to preventing rock snot's spread. Educate and Regulate.

Totally agree! If you read correctly, my comment was, the ONLY way to stop the spread is to prohibit fishing in contaminated areas. Felt bans will only limit the numbers of anglers. Rubber soles equals false security in my book. " I'm wearing rubbr soles, I don't need to treat the rest of my gear." Bring your rubber soles up to.the Upper Kennebec for a day, don't forget your lifejacket.

Ps, made a mock up of Patagonia's new aluminum bar treads on an old pair of Aqua Death boots. They may be on to something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Felt Bottom Wading Boots... Legal?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:31 am 
Offline
FFIM Addict

Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2001 1:00 am
Posts: 2865
Location: Vassalboro, Maine
Nate-
Got to disagree on the need for a PFD if not wearing felts. I have worn out two pair of aqua stealth boots and have found that the boots with pegs hold at least as well as felts, and significantly better than felts in any mud or snow.

As for the thread topic, I freeze my gear when I get home from away anyway ...no matter what I wore, nor where I went.

Hutch

_________________
"Bison- the platypus of the bovine family"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Felt Bottom Wading Boots... Legal?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:40 am 
Offline
FFIMer

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:53 pm
Posts: 131
Location: On the water.
I will be investing in some of these if the price ever drops... http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/river-crampon?p=79195-0-775

_________________
Penny Pinching Fly Flickers Society --- will work to fish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Felt Bottom Wading Boots... Legal?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:45 am 
Offline
FFIMer

Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:00 am
Posts: 288
Location: bangor
If your gonna spend top dollar for a wading boot,buy the Patagonia aluminum bar boots.
They have the best grip made..A little heavy but you can't beat them..Very sturdy for those of us with weak ankles..
They are the wading boots of the future..
Your welcome to try them for a day if I'm not using them :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Felt Bottom Wading Boots... Legal?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:10 pm 
Offline
FFIMer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:29 pm
Posts: 502
theriverrunsthroughme wrote:
Nate O wrote:
Ok, ban felt. What next, boot laces,wet wading, anchor ropes? The only thing that will work 100% is to close contaminated waters to fishing. Traveling anglers should know better than to even risk fishing a didymo water. If they do risk it it is up to them to sterilized their gear( note I said gear, not felt ). Felt isn't the problem, its ignorance. What's the saying? If guns are killing people, then pencils are misspelling words. Another favorite, once we make everything idiot proof, we are just creating more idiots.


X2....


X3:

In the 1950s, cigarettes used asbestos as part of their filters. These filters gave smokers a sense of security against the new data showing the harms of cigarette smoke. Asbestos was the natural choice as it was heatproof and insoluble.

The problem with felt bottom boots is that they are difficult to clean and dry and thus a great host for didymo.

There are many other ways to spread this very invasive algae, including eyelets, rubber treads, interfaces between metal studs and soles, etc., etc.

The real winner in all these debates are the boot manufacturers...


What works for now: Freeze your boots and any gear that gets wet - felt or not.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Felt Bottom Wading Boots... Legal?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:30 am 
Offline
FFIM-aholic

Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2001 1:00 am
Posts: 1078
Location: Fairfield, ME
Osmosis,
I know you don’t like the salt-bath method for cleaning gear so we’ll just skip around that for now and focus on “what works for now.”

The last line in your post suggests freezing (which is my normal and most frequent method of cleaning my gear) as the method that works but I’d like to mention another and get your opinion on it. That method is the hot-water bath. New Zealand suggests a 40-minute hot-water bath at 45 degrees Centigrade or 113 degrees Fahrenheit.

I thought that would be hard to do but it’s surprisingly easy for a field cleaning. A couple of years ago I made a video on the hot-water bath method. It’s at:
http://www.maineflyfishing.com/Video/di ... dyboil.wmv
and I was using a full sized cooler.

It took an hour to boil enough water to fill the cooler deep enough to submerge my boots. It doesn’t take as long now because I use a smaller cooler and can get the water level I need with less water.

If you get a chance please watch the video I’m curious to hear your opinion on the effectiveness of this cleaning method.

Ps – I put my waders, boots, reel and wading staff into the cooler and close the lid in an effort to clean all of my gear that got wet – so far – no damage to any gear from the hot water.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Felt Bottom Wading Boots... Legal?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:03 am 
Offline
FFIMer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:29 pm
Posts: 502
Mike Holt wrote:
Osmosis,
I know you don’t like the salt-bath method for cleaning gear so we’ll just skip around that for now and focus on “what works for now.”

The last line in your post suggests freezing (which is my normal and most frequent method of cleaning my gear) as the method that works but I’d like to mention another and get your opinion on it. That method is the hot-water bath. New Zealand suggests a 40-minute hot-water bath at 45 degrees Centigrade or 113 degrees Fahrenheit.

I thought that would be hard to do but it’s surprisingly easy for a field cleaning. A couple of years ago I made a video on the hot-water bath method. It’s at:
http://www.maineflyfishing.com/Video/di ... dyboil.wmv
and I was using a full sized cooler.

It took an hour to boil enough water to fill the cooler deep enough to submerge my boots. It doesn’t take as long now because I use a smaller cooler and can get the water level I need with less water.

If you get a chance please watch the video I’m curious to hear your opinion on the effectiveness of this cleaning method.

Ps – I put my waders, boots, reel and wading staff into the cooler and close the lid in an effort to clean all of my gear that got wet – so far – no damage to any gear from the hot water.


_________________________

Nice video.

I've read the Cathy Kilroy paper.

"hot tap water (≥45 °C – uncomfortably hot to touch) in an insulated container can remain hot enough for 40 minutes to ensure that all parts of the boot attain the minimum killing temperature, even if cold, wet boots are immersed. Adding nappy cleaner or dishwashing liquid provides additional decontaminating power. An alternative treatment is freezing."

There is a risk that the water would cool down during the required decontamination time.

Isnt freezing much easier?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Felt Bottom Wading Boots... Legal?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:21 am 
Offline
FFIM-aholic

Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2001 1:00 am
Posts: 1078
Location: Fairfield, ME
Yes, I’ve found freezing is much easier unless I'm camping at the Big Eddy for four days of my vacation and then moving to the East Outlet for the rest of my vacation.

For a camp treatment the hot-water cooler system works (I think anyway, I'm still not sure if you consider it effective and really would like to know) and in a case similar to the one above a person would only have to do it once - when he or she made the change from one watershed to the other.

As for the water cooling off - haven't had that problem - the water is plenty hot even after 40-minutes and since I have that portable thermometer I can say that with confidence. (a meat thermometer will do the trick and they are cheap)

Heating water in camp also isn’t much of an issue. I’ve got a big dishpan I heat water in for dishes and it holds even more water than the pan I used in the demonstration – quicker that way. You barely have time to enjoy your after dinner cocktail while the water is heating.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Felt Bottom Wading Boots... Legal?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:32 am 
Offline
FFIMer

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:00 am
Posts: 544
Location: in search of trout in WNC
Quote:
You barely have time to enjoy your after dinner cocktail while the water is heating.

:lol: :D

_________________
"No one ever steps in the same river twice"
Heraclitus


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TurnitinBot [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group