FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently May 26th, 2020, 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nice afternoon
PostPosted: June 13th, 2012, 9:40 pm 
FFIM Addict

The rain that came through on the South coast of NE was very helpful. The water in the Farmington has been ideal and a little stain with over cast skies had the fish looking up at the sulphers, cahills, march browns, caddis etc. I thought I'd be stripping streamers for a while and that was short lived when I saw all the bug activity and the fish onto them.
A sulpher sparkle dun got a lot of looks and a few takes. I then switched to a CDC winged biot fly w/shuck that seemed to be the ticket. The wing was more down-wing style that was more emerger/cripple that they seemed to like. Picked up one nice brown on a fly that upon tying it on the whip finish was coming apart. At first I started unraveling it going after the first whip finish. I usually do 2, but I think on Sunday the first may have bit the weenie. As I unraveled the thread I realized I was going to lose the wing. Had to re-wrap and tie some knots to hold with only an inch and a half of thread, a breeze and fish rising in front of me. Got a couple of doubled half hitches on it and picked up a nice brown I'd been watching. He came up in slow motion and opened wide. Managed 3 more fish to hand on that fly and some hits before they totally rejected it. Upon observation the biot had snuck out on the bend end and was sticking out perpendicular to the shank. The hook is back on the bench for a new dressing.
Once the overcast began to break up things slowed and the fish got much more selective. Not sure how many fly changes I did after that trying to find what they were looking for. Got a lot of long looks and soft takes with out any more hook-ups. Amazes me how a fish can close it's mouth on a fly and miss the hook. It's all a great time.

Ron

Sir John Buchan