FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 14th, 2018, 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 9:14 pm 
FFIM Addict

All;

This was the year of "equipment failure". Yikes....

I've already told you all of the "wader disaster"--so won't bore you with those details. Hopefully getting in touch with Simms on Monday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can do something with them. If they can't----that was a tres expensive morning.... :cry: :shock:

Rods------goodbye (for now) to my 905-4 tip flex Helios. My Buddy tripped getting out of the drift boat (Hyde) on the Horn----and my 4 piece Helios in a snap (pun intended---see...I do have a sense of humor :lol: ) became a 6 piece. Off to Orvis on Monday. The poor guy felt terrible; but I said "Tom.....#### happens. No sweat".

I used my 490-4 Sage XP all but two days of the entire trip. Love that rod. It does ebverything you can ask of a 4 weight---and then some. I pair it with two different reels. On the Spring Creeks I prefer a softer line so I team it with an Abel Creek #2, and an Orvis Wonderline. Very nice softer line. When I have to "reach out and touch" a trout----I put on the Hardy LRH spooled with a Sci. Anglers Sharkskin. Very stiff line--that shoots like a rocket.

Both reels/line saw the backing many times. THe last morning on Armstrongs I had a hot bow take me all of 50 yds into my backing......you just can't horse them in on 7X.

Leaders were all hand tied (knotted) Rio's. They do all I ever need leaders to do. Start with .021 butts (on the 5's) and .019 on the 4's. Terminate to 7X.

My Buddy had a really fine outfit ripped out of his hands by the curent after falling on the Big Horn in very high water. He lost an Orvis CFO (click & pawl) Hardy reel......and a 5 weight Sage XP rod. To say he was bummed would be the understatement of the trip---until I said "Hey....it could have been a *helluva* lot worse". Outfits can be replaced--it's only money. I lent him my Orvis CFO IV reel and my Sage XP 5 weight.....so he was bacjk in business. Good thing we bring extra rods/reels/lines/leader kits/etc/etc/etc. On a long trip #### happens. We just deal with it and move on.

Dave M