FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 25th, 2019, 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 24th, 2002, 2:05 pm 
FFIM Addict

I'm not trying to start WWIII here (especially on the day before Christmas) but check out the article in the Outdoors Section of the Denver Post Sunday Edition (Dec. 22). If I was more Computer Literate I'd give you a link--but, unfortunately, I'm not. A Google search should turn it up for you, though. (I got the link off ROFF--so any of you Roffians should get the link through Willi's post). Merry Christmas, everyone. <BR> <BR> Dave M <BR> <BR>

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 24th, 2002, 3:32 pm 
FFIM Addict

the link is - <BR> <BR><!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href="http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0" target="_blank">http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end -->,1413,36%257E95%257E1066728,00.html?search=filter <BR> <BR>P.S. - the BB software ended the link after the big 0, but you need to copy & paste the entire string into your navigation window to get right to the story.<BR><BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rory on 2002-12-24 14:35 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 24th, 2002, 5:21 pm 
FFIMer

I can't seem to get there. But if somebody who read the article could just give us the meant and potatoes of it, I think that would suffice. <BR> <BR>Thanks, RW

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 24th, 2002, 8:29 pm 
FFIMer

<BR>By Charlie Meyers <BR>Denver Post Outdoor Editor <BR> <BR>Sunday, December 22, 2002 - Anyone who might have doubted the effects of catch-and-release regulations on a wild trout population need only examine census figures compiled by the Colorado Division of Wildlife in Elevenmile Canyon below Elevenmile Dam. <BR>The statistics compiled late this year reveal dramatic changes, particularly for rainbow trout, following a regulation change that placed both the upper and middle stations of the South Platte River under catch and release, beginning in the 2001 season. <BR> <BR>Before 2001, both the middle and upper sections allowed a take of two fish exceeding 16 inches under a flies-and-lures restriction. In the upper section, numbers of rainbow trout increased from 140 to 372 per acre in two years. Poundage grew from 135 to 293. A similar gain was noted at the middle station, where numbers swelled from 54 to 134 and pounds from 36 to 89. <BR> <BR>At the same time, rainbow numbers at the lower station - where all methods and a four-fish daily bag are allowed - remained virtually static at 72 and 70. <BR> <BR>Division of Wildlife biologist Greg Gerlich observed that while the study confirmed the higher carrying capacity of river stretches immediately below a reservoir, it also demonstrated the vulnerability of rainbows to kill pressure. <BR> <BR>"The primary aim of the new regulation was to protect rainbow trout," Gerlich said. "Certainly the regulation has helped directly." <BR> <BR>The study also demonstrated a marked increase in the number of quality-sized rainbow per acre, those 14 inches or longer. In 2000, just 100 such rainbows were counted. The number grew to 138 in 2001 and ballooned to 266 in '02. Numbers of quality rainbows in the middle section increased from 58 to 141 over the two-year period. In the four-fish lower section, no rainbows larger than 14 inches were found in 2002. <BR> <BR>At the same time, brown trout numbers in the upper two stations remained virtually constant. <BR> <BR>"This indicates that brown trout had reached a carrying capacity for their favored habitat in the upper canyon, while rainbows were better able to exploit the overall habitat," Gerlich said. <BR> <BR>Brown trout declined markedly in the lower section - 222 in 2000 compared to 135 in '02 - a statistic that perhaps reflected a shift in kill pressure from the upper two sections. <BR> <BR>Merry Christmas!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 25th, 2002, 2:02 am 

Looks pretty clear: <BR> <BR>If you can kill 4 fish a day, there are no large fish and not many fish total. <BR> <BR>If you can kill 2 fish a day, the number of fish doubles. <BR> <BR>If you go to no kill, it doubles again. <BR> <BR>The fact that with harvest of 2 fish per day there were relatively few fish over 14 inches is very interesting. <BR> <BR>Also interesting is the very different response of rainbows and browns to the changed regs. The Colorado fisheries biologist attributes this to habitat, but I wonder if susceptibility to angling is also an issue. <BR> <BR>Jeff <BR> <BR><BR><BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Reardon on 2002-12-25 01:02 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 26th, 2002, 8:30 pm 
FFIMer

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>Also interesting is the very different response of rainbows and browns to the changed regs. The Colorado fisheries biologist attributes this to habitat, but I wonder if susceptibility to angling is also an issue. <BR> <BR>Jeff</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End --> <BR> <BR> <BR>I'm no expert, but I would say so. I found that interesting too.