FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 17th, 2017, 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: trip to the roach
PostPosted: September 8th, 2012, 9:19 pm 
FFIMer

Finally, made it to Greenville from Lake Placid. You can't get here from there. The WB of the Ausable was challenging. Visited three different fly shops looking for some info on easy access (ss knees) -- none were open. So off I went on my own. Was able to find an acceptable entrance and brought 3 browns to had in three hours. One 18-20 incher. Off to the Roach tomorrow. John

PostPosted: September 9th, 2012, 11:35 am 
FFIM-aholic

wow John, good to hear from you. i just got back from there. i was up with a young friend of mine,Ben Handzell, trying to pass on some of my immense skill. i guess our timing is off. how long will you be there? the water is up to a good level on the river but we did not do well, a little early i think, you'll do better. we did good pond fishing. and then we did a little coyote calling and got one, it was way cool.
don

PostPosted: September 10th, 2012, 8:15 am 
FFIMer

We will be here until September 29. We are a week later this year. I am obligated to "go shopping" today but tomorrow I hope to be back up to the Roach (maybe this pm if we get back in time). It was rather crowded yesterday, but guess that is to be expected on a weekend. I was able to find the "corner pool" open.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2012, 8:50 pm 
FFIM-aholic

hope you get a few John, if i get back up there i'll look for you.
don

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2013, 5:53 pm 
FFIMer

Don, if you are out there--I am leaving for Greenville in the morning. First stop, Manchester, NH. Knees are still working fine. Hope you left me some salmon, of course I will settle for some nice Maine brook trout. Hope to be at the Roach Thursday.

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2013, 8:52 pm 
FFIM-aholic

hi John, wow, good to hear from you, it's funny, cause i'll be there on thursday. I'm bringing a young fellow, I don't know if he's smart enough for those fish but he wants to try. It will be cool to see you again. good to see that some of us old folks are still going. my knees are doing good also. see you then
don

PostPosted: September 4th, 2013, 9:35 pm 
FFIMer

Don--I will be there just not sure when--not early as I have some "honey do" tasks to get her settled in for our three week stay. Hope to see you in the AM.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2013, 7:37 pm 
FFIMer

Don--Sorry I missed you. Do you drive a white pick-up? If so I was in the little white car parked next to you. I will be there from time to time the next three weeks. So far, 2 days on the Roach equals 18 fish--one 20 incher today. But have yet to net a brookie. Doing a EO drift Sunday and a WB on the 16th.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2013, 1:54 pm 
FFIM-aholic

hi John, i'm sorry we didn't connect. i was there thurs. AM early. I'm driving a silver toyota with a black cap. It smells bad cause I'm forced to pick up road kills frequently to save the state some money, just out of the goodness of my heart. I may be up again and i'll be looking for you. glad you are doing good,i had a young friend with me and he did good also. I'm trying to do a bit of coyote calling in between casts. the fish are a lot more cooperative. hope to see you again before our bodies give out. thank heaven for Advil and Geritol.
don

PostPosted: August 19th, 2015, 11:59 am 
FFIMer

Time is drawing nigh. September is not far off. Will be leaving flat land long about August 27 with arrival in Greenville Area September 1st. Be looking at the Roach September 2. Do I need my walker or will there be room at the Warden's? Hear the weather has been warm, hope not too warm of water to stress the 2 fish I might be liable to fool. Any thoughts? Is the ole guy still around?

PostPosted: August 19th, 2015, 12:25 pm 
FFIMer

John...

I hope you and Mr. Lynch are able to connect over on the Roach. I can tell you that the flows have been at 116 CFS since July 4 and I have no idea when IF&W intend to bump it up. Temps have been very warm also, so that will not help matters either..

Safe travels and best of luck...

- ZG -

PostPosted: August 19th, 2015, 2:00 pm 
FFIM-aholic

hi there John, very glad to hear from you. glad we're both still up and atem. I haven't been up there yet, coyotes have kept my attention, but I'm planning to go and sept 2nd sounds great to me, looks like a plan. see you there, don't forget the worms.
don

thanks very much for the report Z G I plan to dump a cooler full of ice just below the dam then run down river to reap the benefits

PostPosted: August 21st, 2015, 3:17 pm 
FFIMer

Saw the biologist this weekend, they plan on bumping Roach Labor Day weekend. The river has been good most of the summer, seeing a lot of Brookies lately

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2015, 4:02 pm 
FFIMer

Brookies are fine with me. Maine brook trout are just a tad bigger than the ones I am accustomed to in Pennsylvania. Don: it may be later in the day when I get to the Roach on September 2. I am up at 0500 and am at Jamo's by 0600 but it always seems to be 0930 or later before I get to the river.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2015, 11:44 am 
FFIM-aholic

Ok John, I'll see you on the way out. Whatever happens I will try to meet up with you there at 0930.
don