FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently May 24th, 2017, 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2010, 11:55 am 
FFIM Addict

Of course, we all talk about fish being "X number of inches", when the truly salient point is more likely the age of the fish. If it takes 4 years of growth in Sourdnahunk Lake (with an ideal management strategy to promote growth in place) to match the size of a 2 year old fish in Kwagama, it may call for a different strategy or may simply be impossible.

Seems like the fish in a place like that could have a larger average size, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2010, 12:16 pm 
FFIMer

let them have there 5 fish :D they just need to be under 12" everything over 12" goes back in the lake... know matter how you slice it all of our regs are geared to be consuptive at the (to a curtain extent )expence of quality"and consumption than consuption needs to go especially if your stocking fish to "maintain the fishery"(Harvest) ...maybe not by design but thats the end result. if you can't get "quality if you must have harvest than the harvest has to be of the smaller middle of the road fish. heavan forbid we have a lake with a solid population of 12-16" fish with decent #'s to 18". and Soudnahunk seems like it could fit the bill along with kennebago ,Mooslook, cupsuptic, .......

cdc

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2010, 12:20 pm 
FFIMer

I recall a article published in the 80’s, I think in the Maine Sportsman, titled something like “The Trout Factory is Backâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2010, 12:22 pm 
FFIM Addict

[quote="izaak"]I recall a article published in the 80’s, I think in the Maine Sportsman, titled something like “The Trout Factory is Backâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2010, 5:35 pm 
FFIM-aholic

As for soudy being a good candidate for larger fish I seem to remember a biologist that stated that the best ponds for large fish are low recruitment ponds. Soudy known as the trout factory does not seem to fit this bill. Just some food for thought :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2010, 8:33 pm 
FFIMer

Quote:
As for soudy being a good candidate for larger fish I seem to remember a biologist that stated that the best ponds for large fish are low recruitment ponds. Soudy known as the trout factory does not seem to fit this bill. Just some food for thought

Joe,
the Lake once produced many 14 to 16 inch fish, and probably could again if managed for that. As for large trout (20 inch plus)…perhaps not.... but who knows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2010, 8:51 pm 
FFIMer

"I seem to remember a biologist that stated that the best ponds for large fish are low recruitment ponds"

KI Joe,

Ponds that are capable of growing large fish and have low recruitment are good candidates for catch & release regs. Low recruitment alone doesn't guarantee that a pond will grow large fish. Ponds with moderate or high recruitment can grow big fish if the genetics are there and the pond's biomass can support the population. When the biomass is lacking that is where harvest slots or maximum length regs can help balance things out.

IF&W nearly doubled the number of experimental slot ponds this year. So far they are encouraged with the results of the experiment. The one thing they are having a bit of trouble with is getting anglers to actually harvest some fish from some of the self-sustaining waters. All of the experimental ponds are ALO or FFO so incidental mortality is low and voluntary C&R is high. In the future anglers may see signage asking them to harvest their limit to thin the fish population out and improve growth rates.

The IF&W wild brook trout working group began discussing this topic about a year ago. We will be looking at the current trophy class waters, evaluating the effectiveness of the current trophy regs and discussing possible changes. We will also be looking at additional waters to add to the trophy management program.

Kevin O

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2010, 9:04 pm 
FFIM Addict

Quote:
voluntary C&R is high.

That goes against everything I've ever read about Maine anglers
....... on a certain website. :shock: :roll: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2010, 9:11 pm 
FFIM Addict

not to nitpick when one is tying to bust stones, but it implied that voluntary C&R is high on self-sustaining, read "wild" brook trout ponds......kind of an important distinction :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 30th, 2010, 10:57 am 
FFIMer

I agree tim. From what I see in the waters producing wild trout most anglers I encounter are fairly strict catch and release guys, especially on ffo or alo waters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 30th, 2010, 12:15 pm 
FFIM Addict

that being said, i would gladly keep a brace of wild brookies from a pond with encouraged harvest, and eat them cooked in a cast iron pan with little bacon fat whilst drinking a cold beer or two

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 30th, 2010, 12:32 pm 
FFIM Addict

tim_s wrote:
not to nitpick when one is tying to bust stones, but it implied that voluntary C&R is high on self-sustaining, read "wild" brook trout ponds......kind of an important distinction :D

Details, shmeetails . . . we're a bunch of bubba-bashing, myopically-sighted Gore Humpers. Right, Rory?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 30th, 2010, 1:19 pm 
FFIM Addict

When commenting on those who invariably paint with broad strokes, I don't see any need to articulate the fine details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 30th, 2010, 1:49 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dollars to donuts most of the posters here have a better collection of paint brushes for detail work than, oh, I don't know, some other sites that eschew brushes altogether, and "invariably" paint with rollers and Wagner power guns--or just throw the whole bucket at the canvas, and call it good. Of course, there are more than seven or eight people who contribute to this particular website, so there will always be individual opinions that fit your characterization.

Carry on . . .

Last edited by Matt on March 30th, 2010, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 30th, 2010, 1:49 pm 
FFIM Addict

yeah, those broad brush websites tend to get to me, too

i know of a few :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next