FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently February 17th, 2019, 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2002, 11:53 am 

Rory: <BR> <BR>Explain to me again why ALO discriminates against kids? <BR> <BR>A very effective lure for trout in rivers is a simple, cheap spinner. Any kid could get all the spinners he would need for a season of fishing for less than the cost of a Game-Boy (they still make that one, right?) cartridge. If he lived in Winslow/Waterville, he could get them free if he came to a KVTU sponsored event. <BR> <BR>A dozen crawlers every time he went to the river would surely cost more over the cost of the season. Sure, he could dig his own worms, but I don't see that much in the places I fish. The ubiquitous coffee can has been replaced by the Taylor worm company and others. <BR> <BR>For that matter, there's nothing that would keep the kid from fishing with a fly rod. Materials to tie 2 dozen wooly buggers would cost less than $20--probably cheaper than the spinners. He or she should be able to get a decent fly/rod/reel/line for around a $100; a spinning rod/reel/line for around $60 (?? that's a guess). Either way, getting into this sport is cheaper than skiing, snowboarding, biking, skateboarding, etc. <BR> <BR>Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2002, 3:47 pm 
FFIM Addict

John K., et al: <BR> <BR>I think folks get their panties tied up in knots when it comes to regs on rivers because there just isn't as much BIG moving water as there is pond water. A pond is a pond is a pond, in the eyes of many, I think--if one has a FFO stamped on it, it's easy to find another nearby that doesn't. I'm talking north country here--for instance, the area east of 201 above the forks has scads of special reg ponds, but I don't hear many folks complaining. But a river? Take away a section of the Kennebec with FFO regs, and you're faced with a substantial increase in drive time fish bait in a "comparable" moving water fishery. Of course, ALO doesn't close a fishery to spincasters--and I'd like to see just about every river fishery ALO--but I do think it is perceived as a move in the direction of snobbery. And there might be a "slippery slope" frame of mind at work here as well, i.e. "sure, it's posted ALO, but it might as well be/might turn into FFO," etc. Could be wrong, but that's what I assume. <BR> <BR>Matt

`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2002, 9:59 pm 
FFIMer

I think alot of the problem is that fishing for trout with worms is so ingrained in Maine tradition. My dad took me trout fishing from the time I was 5 months old, at least thats what he tells me. We preaty much fished exclusively for trout with worms. We kept all the fish we caught up to our limit. I remeber when the bag limit for trout was lowered to 5 fish his response was " there's almost no point in fishing anymore". I'm sure he learned most of this from his dad. He also pounded into me that trout only bit worms or flies, and fly fishing was just too difficult to learn. So I went through life throwing worms at trout. One big change came on a fishing trip with a friend. I was 23 at the time. We went out the golden rd to fish a pond another friend had told us about. we fished the pond during the day and camped on the west branch at night. One morning while waiting for my friend to wake up I started chucking a mooseluk wobbler while I was waiting for him. I remember getting a hard strike and pulled in an 18" brookie, by far my biggest up to that point in my life. I was absolutely shocked. My friend had the same reaction. We fished with lures on the pond that day and caught fewer, but much larger fish. From that point on I fished more and more lures, then eventually flies. Mt dad still hasnt come around. I tooke him fishing in waterville this year. He fished for a while and then decide to leave early. His reason "I just don't trust a place where I can't use worms". <BR>I remember that feeling. I think if kids were brought up more using lures and flies this would be a non issue. I believe the more these regs become common, and people find they can still catch fish, they will eventually gain they're own momentum. The hard part is getting things started

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7th, 2002, 6:18 am 
FFIMer

My uncle was arrested for helping his kids catch their limit. Im not sure exactly what he was doing to cause the conviction but the game warden had been watching that pond which is quite popular with the bank fishermen. Everyone in town knew that it had just been stocked rather heavily. I guess my take on kids having a place to go is that a majority of the times parents look at that as an opportunity for them to have fun. So is it for the kids or the parents?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2002, 1:16 pm 
FFIMer

As long as we are talking special regs, it might be easier to get public acceptance of ALO/Single Hook than FFO. There are additional benefits to ALO. I understand that both have a low (fish) mortality rate under ideal conditions; but with the use of weight and bobbers on leaders, I would think that spinning gear might be a safer alternative for the practitioners than the "chuck and duck" casting of some fly-flingers. Even a cone-head Muddler can be dangerous on the leader of some FF... whereas, spinning gear can cast this jig safely and effortlessly. <BR>Best regards, <BR>Reed <BR><!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href="http://www.overmywaders.com" target="_blank">www.overmywaders.com</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end --> <BR>

The Contemplative Angler (Blog)

PostPosted: February 1st, 2019, 12:49 am 
FFIM Addict

Bump