FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 20th, 2018, 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TR.......wind
PostPosted: October 20th, 2018, 8:49 am 
FFIM Addict

Yup......wind was the order of the week. I just spent, along with five other friends, five days upstate on a primo fall Salmon River.

This should have been a great BWO (aka “Blue Wings”) week, but the ferocious and unrelenting wind mostly put the kibosh on that plan. Monday afternoon the wind was blowing a relatively un obnoxious 10 to 15 mph........the Blue Wings came off, and the LLs and Brookies came out to play.

Now, truth be told, this river doesn’t have the Blue Wing hatches that come off farther south in Madison or Shawmut, but there are some Blue Wings that come off, and the LLs and Brookies do come out to play. I took several on dry flies......a real treat in Fall. Some took the #22 RS-2 Emerger........some took the #22 Parachute BWO. None were of the gargantuan variety, but most were in the 14 to 15” range. The wind was such that I wasn’t able to use my BWO rod ........a Winston B3X 3 weight.......I was using my Helios five weight.

With that unrelenting wind almost all week even though I had seven rods with me, I spent most of the week using that Helios five weight. I also fished a Winston five, but it’s nowhere near as strong a rod as the Orvis. Lefty or Rajeff couldn’t have cast accurately in those winds. Tuesday and Thursday it was blowing a solid 35 to 40.......with gusts up to 55. Ridiculous. The wind chill factor was down to 12* F.....and we were plenty warm......albeit looking like the Michelin Man with all the clothes we were wearing under our gore-Tex.

Most fish taken during the week......
At least for me........we’re on Nymphs. A #20 PT Bead Head took most of my trout/LLs, but many came to a Pink Egg. The other guys did very well on Partridge and Orange Soft Hackles, but I fished that pattern for several hours and never even had a hit on them.

Trying to throw a double Nymph rig, with a AB shot and a TMB in 35 knot wind is an adventure. A couple of times I took the shot to the back of the head.

Most of the flyfishers I spoke with all said it was the slowest fall fishing they had ever experienced up there. There were fish to be caught......if you kept at it and were persistent.......but one sure had to work at it. We fished Thursday in some of the worst conditions I’ve ever personally fished in 55 mph winds and snow blowing sideways into your face........with your eyes tearing up and the tears freezing on your cheeks.......all to get skunked. All in all not a fun afternoon. The heater was cranked in the Jeep on the way back to camp, and the coffee pot was welcome after getting the waders and all those layers of fleece off back at camp.

I rolled a couple of real pigs, but didn’t put either of them into the net. Both were on for only a few seconds before being long line released. Those are the LLs that we all head up there for.

Hopefully this wind dies down to a dull roar this week......and I can get out to fish Blue Wings with the lighter rods. Get out there......our season is winding down faster than any of us would like.

To use Hutch’s way of thinking........we saw no Moose, no Deer, but plenty of turkeys on the trip up and back.

Dave M

PS: Did run into Titleguy and got to talk for a few minutes. He did much better on big fish than I did.

We were the only fishermen in camp this week......all the others were bird hunters. They were doing well on Woodcock.......not so well on Patridge.

Another interesting.......at least to me........observation on five weights. As I said, I have two. A Winston BiiiX and an original Orvis Helios. Both are designed to throw a 140 grain line. The Winston doesn’t have anywhere near the “guts” of the Orvis. The Winnie fishes and casts more like a beefed up four, while the Helios could easily throw a six wt......and I’d bet a seven wouldn’t be out of the question. Both great rods, but totally unlike each other.

Post subject: Re: TR.......wind
PostPosted: October 20th, 2018, 2:10 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I fished Tuesday afternoon in the gale. One small brook trout, one small salmon swinging. Wednesday morning 4 fish- two fat brook trout and one huge salmon and one medium large salmon, all swinging either a yellow and white clouser or a mini Montana intruder. Despite the wind and rain, I had solid dry fly fishing- 18 olive quill comparadun- the wind was not really 3 wt glass friendly, but it got close to the fish. There was not much of a hatch, but the fish were definitely eating. Headed up for the day tomorrow. Sounds like a long underwear day, but hopefully the wind will relent.

P.S.- Ethel Merman was belting out "God Bless America" at Parson's this morning- you could just hear her over the roar of the wind and surf.... I'm afraid the stripers are pretty much done...

PostPosted: October 20th, 2018, 9:24 pm 
FFIM Addict

I’m hoping to make it up there next week one day. Was leaning towards Tuesday. Opefully the wind has died down by then. My luck another front and system will be whistling through.

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: October 21st, 2018, 7:19 am 
FFIMer

That's hard fishing, but still great to be out there. Headed up to country next week to give it one last shot. Talked to someone at Grants camps and they have snow. I'll be packing layers for sure. I guess the Sage XP will be getting a workout as opposed to the fiberglass and bamboo, if those conditions prevail.
Dave it must have still beat the classroom :)

PostPosted: October 21st, 2018, 9:30 am 
FFIM Addict

igloo lake wrote:
That's hard fishing, but still great to be out there. Headed up to country next week to give it one last shot. Talked to someone at Grants camps and they have snow. I'll be packing layers for sure. I guess the Sage XP will be getting a workout as opposed to the fiberglass and bamboo, if those conditions prevail.
Dave it must have still beat the classroom :)

Bill......

I did get to fish my Cecil Pierce boo one morning.......and took several LLs and Brookies on it. That was very nice. I use a Hardy Princess reel loaded with a Cortland 444 DT peach line on it. Just a wonderful combination. I also had a 7’ 4 wt. bamboo that I never got to take out of the tube with that ridiculous wind.

That XP is a great rod. Hopefully the wind will lay down for you.

Yes.......I really do miss teaching; I loved it. However......being able to take an entire week to fish in the Fall is wonderful.

I’m hoping like hell I get to fish Blue Wings this week lower down on the K.

Dave M

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2018, 1:26 pm 
FFIM-aholic

My trip report for yesterday- WIND & COLD. 12 hours door to door- landed one brook trout, missed two on dries and dropped one big salmon.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2018, 2:38 pm 
FFIM Addict

titleguy wrote:
My trip report for yesterday- WIND & COLD. 12 hours door to door- landed one brook trout, missed two on dries and dropped one big salmon.

You could do that on the P-scot and be home in a lot less time. :wink:

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2018, 7:09 am 
FFIM-aholic

Hunter wrote:
titleguy wrote:

You could do that on the P-scot and be home in a lot less time. :wink:

This is true....

PostPosted: October 24th, 2018, 10:50 am 
FFIMer

The same conditions were prevailent way up north of there as well last week. Yet there were still Pa’tridge to be found and a handful even ended up in my game bag.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2018, 1:00 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Not sure what this weekend will hold.... I may have to go south after stripers or north after trout, or both..... :)