FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 20th, 2018, 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Discovered" a Waterfall
PostPosted: June 17th, 2018, 8:02 pm 

Poking around in an area I thought I knew well yesterday, a friend and I literally stumbled on a gorgeous waterfall. Maybe 35 feet of drop in two plunges, a pair of nice swimming holes, both of them with water over your head on a stream you can almost step across, and a steady parade of small trout leaping the lower of the two drops. We figured about 1 in 3 of the attempts to clear the lip of the falls was successful.

It was not clear why they were bothering, since another 20 yards upstream was a vertical drop nobody was going to pass.

Just goes to show there are still surprises to be found in the Maine woods if you get even a little bit off the beaten path.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2018, 8:37 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I had a similar experience that I posted about last summer. With a big fish river blown out, we meandered in the woods and were stymied by the beauty of a series of falls that were hard enough to get to, with little enough of a trail, it felt like we “discovered” them. The trout there were browns, small enough to slip through my net, but it made for very cool memories.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 8:41 am 
FFIM Addict

I took a motorcycle trip with a couple of friends last summer to the Saguenay Fjord in Quebec. We pulled over for a break, and I could hear water, so we checked it out. It turned out to be a huge waterfall on a salmon river, much more fun to "discover" it than to be led there.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 10:18 pm 

You know it guys - making those discoveries is a huge aspect of my fishing experiences - the secret waterfalls, hidden beaver ponds, old mills and homesteads, cool rock formations, fossils, archaeology, etc - on Mother's Day weekend this year I was fishing a downeast stream that I've been fishing for almost 20 years, the same way every visit - I would fish up thru the head of the tide, thru some really sweet ledges and pools then up thru a long series of riffles and runs til I got to a long, straight, feature-less slack water - there I would always turn around and head to my next stream - this year when I got to that point, I asked myself the question I ask myself when I think I'm being lazy - "Did I not come here to fish?" and so I pressed on and sooner than I expected I came across 2 ancient beaver ponds - deep, dark holes - with a gorgeous ledge drop just above them - the area offered up the best fish of the day and as a result, that day will be one of the fondest memories of this season...Happy Trails!