FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 15th, 2018, 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shawmut
PostPosted: May 19th, 2018, 11:15 pm 
FFIMer

Where do you guys get that particular flow rate?

PostPosted: May 20th, 2018, 7:17 pm 

The USGS gages will give you real time flows in Madison (upstream of the Shawmut) and Sidney (downstream).

None are perfect for Shawmut, as you have the Sebasticook and other tribs entering between those spots, but they give you a general idea what to expect and whether flows are rising or falling.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/me/nwis/current/?type=flow

PostPosted: May 21st, 2018, 2:51 pm 
FFIM Addict

I swung by Shawmut on my way home from Bangor on Saturday to have a look around and walk the dog. I did not fish, nor did I see risers, but there were a few hundred swallows working a hatch mid-river up over the faster water. I didn't see what the hatch was- but presume it was midges as there wasn't much happening along shore.

The mill building is gone- and the site looks pretty good. More or less an open park concept down to the launch from the upper lot (i.e., clear view for the local PD to keep tabs on what's happening at the launch). One concern I noted is that the new access road is made from a bank-run gravel with a lot of sand and not a lot of binder material. It was moving around under foot- which doesn't bode well for it holding up to vehicle traffic climbing the hill back up from the launch. The material is also pretty easily washed out- as evidenced by an existing rill spilling across and washing out the road and also having over-topped the two rows of silt fence. The material being eroded being mostly sand, didn't appear to reach the river though.

Unless there is a complete redesign of the site in the works- I'm guessing there is only a couple of days of work to wrap up the project. Not sure why it's scheduled to take a few weeks once they start back in on it.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2018, 2:53 pm 
FFIM Addict

Jeff Reardon wrote:
The USGS gages will give you real time flows in Madison (upstream of the Shawmut) and Sidney (downstream).

None are perfect for Shawmut, as you have the Sebasticook and other tribs entering between those spots, but they give you a general idea what to expect and whether flows are rising or falling.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/me/nwis/current/?type=flow

Another option is to add the flow of the Sandy at Mercer to the flow at Madison. That will put you in the ballpark (albeit, minus whatever storage they're dumping from the millponds in Skowhegan and Shawmut).

PostPosted: May 29th, 2018, 4:15 pm 
FFIMer

Gate posted and hay barricade still up as of today. Echoing others, I don't knew what else there remains to completed.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2018, 7:49 pm 
FFIMer

Stopped by Shawmut this weekend. The site does look a lot better. Flow was ideal but there was a nasty upstream wind. Only a few bugs to be seen and no fish showing and no birds working what little hatch was on. I did see an osprey but the bird wasn't having any better luck than I was landing any fish. Water temperature was 60 degrees.

PostPosted: May 30th, 2018, 10:04 am 
FFIM Addict

When I stopped by last week, I could not see a hatch- but there were several hundred swallows working a riffle mid-river. Definitely a hatch of some form going on out there. Flows were about double what they are now, and there was enough wind to make fish spotting difficult. I did not see any fish working the Shawmut side of the river.

PostPosted: May 30th, 2018, 11:06 am 
FFIM Addict

I was there Saturday afternoon......on the East side. A relatively sparse hatch of Olives brought a few fish up, but absolutely nothing like the heydays. Water temp was already 59*, which is way too warm for late May.

No Hendrickson’s came off, but of course they wouldn’t with water that warm. They must be long gone there by now.

Only three Swallows working the hatch.......and maybe a dozen or fifteen trout.......but none were those “happy trout” that came up time and again. The rises were what we called “one of”......meaning they came up once, and maybe again ten or fifteen minutes later.

Certainly not enough action for me to back this week.......if 5hat tells you all you need to know. ;-)

Dave M

PostPosted: May 30th, 2018, 5:47 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dave M,

You looking for dry fly activity come on down. Things are getting hot and the inferno is on the way. I'll point you in the general direction. May not be working this week-end. Not sure whether to head west to the Catskills or stay local. Or go home and work.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: May 30th, 2018, 7:57 pm 
FFIMer

I was there Saturday AM, near the boat launch, no hatch, no birds, no risers.... no fish for me. I don't know the river well but it was good to wade around and get familiar with things.... I can finally understand how someone could manage to wade to the white rock. I fished the new cane for a bit drifting nymphs then switched to chucking streamers with the switch rod. I had bright sun, no clouds and the wind picked up around 8.

Peter

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2018, 9:43 pm 
FFIMer

Any word on when the launch will be open. Gate locked and signs up. After my run in with law enforcement there before.... I headed to the east side.

Roughly a billion river herring to deal with.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2018, 7:42 am 
FFIM Addict

The area is still open for walk in angling access, but, effectively, the Department has shut the Shawmut drift boat fishery down for the Spring 2018 fishery. :( The work to complete the launch was scheduled to start up this week (pending completion of work at the Governor Hill Hatchery that has been a bit behind schedule) and last a couple weeks (why, I'm not sure- as the site looks like it's only got a couple of days of effort to stabilize)- so likely closer to the 4th of July before the launch will be open.

There's not quite a billion river herring- closer to 200,000. And in that mix are a few shad. Happy angling.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2018, 4:04 pm 
FFIMer

I was wading Shawmut yesterday afternoon and walked into the herring at the head of the pasture pool. I thought I'd entered some kind of bizarro world where I was surrounded by hundreds of splashing fish. That usually doesn't happen to me in my waking hours. Anyway, I figured out what was going on after a while and I have some questions. How long have they been lifting fish into the Shawmut stretch. I've haven't seen herring there before but then I haven't fished Shawmut much at all over the last few years. And what happens when the herring run into the dam? Do they hang around all summer or do they turn around and head back down to Waterville?

PostPosted: June 4th, 2018, 8:18 pm 
FFIMer

I know they lift them into the Shawmut head pond because they are stacked at the base of Malbons mills on wesserunsett stream in skowhegan, and they also will run up into oaks pond when the conditions are right.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2018, 10:06 pm 
FFIM Addict

They’ve been stocking river herring down in Fairfield for at least 3 or 4 years now. I can remember watching a big fish pushing water chasing a herring two years ago. That herring tail walked like a LLS for about 15 or 20 feet trying to get away from whatever was chasing it. I suspect a lot of the fish we see up in the wade section are blueback herring, as they use moving water habitat for spawning (whereas, alewives like stillwater habitat). There’s enough of both types of habitat in the Shawmut tailwater for the two to self select their preferred habitat and segregate out.

When they’re done spawning, they turn tail and head back to the ocean. River herring are repeat spawners. I visited the Brunswick dam once and got a tour while DMR was working up a batch of river herring. They mentioned they had sampled one fish that had been a seven time repeat spawner. Definitely not the norm though.