FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 16th, 2018, 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shawmut
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2018, 7:55 pm 
FFIM Addict

I’m hearing rumors that Brookfield has closed the Shawmut angler access point and canoe portage while they do some construction in the area. Anyone know details? I know they were talking about constructing a new trash rack- but most of that work would occur upstream from the facility I would think. Are they also installing fish passage during the same period?

Post subject: Re: Shawmut
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2018, 8:45 pm 

I believe the state owns the old mill property there. A small section of the shoreline near the dam may belong to Brookfield, including the area where folks launch boats, but they shouldn't be able to cut off wading access.

Has anyone called DIFW?

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2018, 8:54 pm 
FFIMer

...all i know is that if you're there fishing after 'dark', the police will set up a major SWAT operation like they're taking down a FBI most wanted!

"You got me, you caught the tater! "

Which reminds me... didn't EVERYONE used to fish Shawmut AFTER dark?

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2018, 9:02 pm 

According to Fairfield's online property map and data base, all Brookfield owns downstream of the dam is a very short distance, about to the downstream end of the tailrace adjacent to where we launch boats. Everything else, including Kennebec Street on the river side of the railroad tracks where it makes a 90 degree turn and heads south, and all the land down to the home of the enormous evil beaver and the two islands, is on land owned by the state. Brookfield owns a tiny slice that runs from the powerhouse to the water's edge.

If they have that road gated to prevent public access to state owned land, the state should be able to resolve it pretty quickly.

Don't know if this link will work, but give it a shot. https://www.axisgis.com/FairfieldME/

Otherwise, go to the town of Fairfield's website, and you can find the link under "Departments and Services--Tax Assessor"

Once the map opens, zoom in on that end of the town, and you can click on any property to see the owner.

I sent Jason Seiders an email about this late this afternoon.

Jeff

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2018, 9:10 pm 

733SUBDUCKER wrote:

Yup. Between encounters with the evil beaver from hell, brown trout big enough to eat me back when I was smaller, running into homeless people sleeping off whatever substance they'd taken to sleep next to the railroad tracks, and the police making sure kids in town don't have any fun, it used to be quite an experience down there.

On my home one night about midnight I was stopped in Fairfield, Benton, and Winslow at drunk-driver road blocks. At the first, they gave me a written warning that my headlight was out. At the second, in Benton, they tried to give me a ticket for not getting it fixed. "Yes, officer, I do know that headlight is out, the Fairfield police just gave me a written warning," and I handed it to him. He told me I should have gotten it fixed right away and was starting to write the ticket when I asked him to check the date. :D

Down in Winslow, the Kennebec County Sheriff's Deputy didn't even mention it.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2018, 8:46 am 

Just got the message below from Diano Circo at ME DIFW. Turns out the work in the area is by MDIFW--it looks they demolished the old mill building on their property. The gate is theirs, and is temporary while they complete the work and let the road dry out. Pedestrian access is still allowed if you park outside the gate. His contact information is below should anyone have questions.

Hey Jeff,

The road in to the Shawmut site is just closed temporarily while we’re waiting to get our engineering team on-site to finish off the erosion control work. It took until early December last year to get the mill completely demolished, so we didn’t have much time to get the site stabilized. There’s a roughed-in road, but it’s not really stable so we need to keep vehicles off it until we can get things finished. We’ve also had a lot of vandalism on the site historically, and over the past few weeks. We pulled a car out of there last week that was axle deep in the mud. Brookfield has been keeping the fence closed when they’re not on site because when we removed the building it opened access to their facility. They haven’t been able to install a new fence around it because the site’s been too wet and we have some drainage issues to resolve. Folks are welcome to fish on the property. They just need to walk in. When the gate is open people can park in the area just inside the gate. When it’s closed there is a small area before the gate that a couple of vehicles can park in. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.

Diano Circo
Chief Planner
Maine Dept of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife
Bureau of Resource Management
284 State St, SHS 41
Augusta ME 04333
(207) 287-3128
mefishwildlife.com | facebook | twitter

PostPosted: April 24th, 2018, 12:42 pm 
FFIM Addict

733SUBDUCKER wrote:
...all i know is that if you're there fishing after 'dark', the police will set up a major SWAT operation like they're taking down a FBI most wanted!

"You got me, you caught the tater! "

Sub.......

Uhhhh, no. Most of the people that fished the ‘Mut didn’t fish after dark. Only a select few of us did, and we all knew who was there by where the lights flicked on. We all had our favorite spots, and were there with a fair degree of regularity.

It could be a spooky, scary place in the darkness. Huge Beavers slapping their tails on the water, and Dobsonflies flying into your face scaring the living piss out of you, with Bats flying overhead......and you *really* didn’t want one of those suckers grabbing your fly.

Dave M

PostPosted: April 24th, 2018, 2:57 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I got hit with a log in the leg one night over by the white rock. I think I soiled my armor.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2018, 4:05 pm 

Remember stepping on those damned slimy chunks of flashboard that would get stuck on the river bottom? Instant swim, every time I did that in the dark. Had a chance to save yourself in daylight.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2018, 8:57 am 
FFIM Addict

I checked with Diano and he’s thinking it’s going to be early June before the boat launch is re-opened, as the mill demolition contractor has a few weeks of work to do regarding drainage and site stabilization, followed by a few weeks for the departments engineering crew to put the finishing touches on things. He reassured me that foot access is still allowed, but that it will be sometime in June before the boat launch is open again.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2018, 9:45 am 
FFIM Addict

I checked with Diano this morning for an update. The engineering crew is still tied up at one of the department's hatcheries and it's looking like they won't be started at Shawmut until the first week of June. Work is scheduled to take a couple of weeks, so it's looking like the Shawmut launch won't be open again until the end of June at the earliest.

Wade access is still available though for those looking to venture out. Flows are good right now.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2018, 7:53 pm 
FFIMer

Thanks Hunter
Kind of a bummer,as you know the spots to launch our drifters is limited as it is...

PostPosted: May 18th, 2018, 8:16 pm 
FFIM Addict

David....

7120 is wadeable, but just barely for most of us. I prefer it under 5600 fwiw.

Dave M

PostPosted: May 18th, 2018, 11:19 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dave M wrote:
David....

7120 is wadeable, but just barely for most of us. I prefer it under 5600 fwiw.

Dave M

I was closer to 6K when I posted this morning, and in fact is only about 6.2k right now.

kennebecfly wrote:
Thanks Hunter
Kind of a bummer,as you know the spots to launch our drifters is limited as it is...

Agreed- especially spots that are reachable after work for an evening float.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2018, 7:05 am 
FFIM-aholic

"with Bats flying overhead" - Ahhhhh - the bats. Never actually hooked one but had more than a few casts foiled. Every so often it was like you were flying a kite for a few seconds - good times!