FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 16th, 2017, 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Damn seals!
PostPosted: August 10th, 2017, 9:51 pm 

So I finally get out after stripers tonight. This time I did not forget the fly boxes, and I found some working fish with birds on them and landed a little schoolie. I ran the boat back up to float through the same drift, and had another fish on on the first cast. This felt like another schoolie until I got it close the boat, when it started pulling harder. Just as I reached down to lip it I saw why--a seal literally grabbed the poor thing out of my hand. Its body smacked the bottom of the boat as he took it. I sure hope that seal doesn't end up with my fly stuck in its intestines some place . . . . .

Post subject: Re: Damn seals!
PostPosted: August 11th, 2017, 7:15 am 
FFIM-aholic

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!
http://www.fox25boston.com/news/2-chath ... /587952000

PostPosted: August 11th, 2017, 8:34 am 

Send a couple of those sharks up the Kennebec.

I'm beginning to think I'm cursed. I lost a pile of trout I intended to release to loons this spring, too.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2017, 12:39 pm 
FFIMer

I've yet to have that problem, although I was on the Kennebec last weekend and noticed more seals then ever before. Not that I spend a lot of time there but had only seen the occasionally seal there the past couple years. Several popped up within 15 feet of the boat, and some of them where huge.

Peter

PostPosted: August 11th, 2017, 6:36 pm 

yup, we saw a pile. Lots hauled out on some ledges--maybe 20-25 in a group. And a mix of harbor seals and much larger gray seals.

I'm not sure which species got my striper. All I saw was eyes, whiskers and teeth as it latched on. :lol:

PostPosted: August 11th, 2017, 7:32 pm 
FFIMer

With the seal population booming I don't think it'll be long before we see big sharks up there.. it's not all that far from York county where white sharks are seen every summer. You're gonna need a bigger boat Jeff.

Peter

PostPosted: August 11th, 2017, 8:15 pm 
FFIMer

Not the first time I have heard this complaint about the seals. I have observed them in the kennebec as far as Waterville on at least three occasions. The first one I saw scared the crap out of me as it was 430 in the morning and I nearly stepped on it before it burst away from the base of Lockwood Dam. For historical purposes this is the first time that they have not been hunted by humans to some degree for probably the last 10,000 years in Maine. Maybe its time to "cull the herd". not that I would have any interest in hunting for one but it is something to consider. Stripers are harvested all up and own the eastern seaboard ( and if the commercial guys get their way they'll be butchering them again). Other than the occasional aggravated lobsterman humans have no check on the seal population, and shark numbers are not as high as they once were to keep their check as well.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2017, 12:16 pm 

I'm not in favor of culling seals--or loons. Stripers and trout have survived hundreds of thousands of years with predators. I'm fairly sure they'll continue to do so. I suspect part of the story of the resurgence of seals in the Kennebec is the resurgence of herring populations and the predators that follow them up the river.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 1:44 am 
FFIM-aholic

Yup, nature will run its course. Something will eat them or plague them.... then we will start over.

In Sweden I was talking to a danish guy who told me that commerants have literally distorted the trout fishing in the country. Another lesson that natives figure it out, while invasives need some help.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2017, 9:52 pm 
FFIMer

Atta Boy Sharkie!!

What goes around, comes around... one less threat to the Stripers.

Proof seals are tastier than swimmers!

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/ ... rt_m-rpt-2#incart_std#incart_m-rpt-2